• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V overdrive ready gearbox

aservfortom2

Donation Time
I am on the hunt for a Series V gearbox that is overdrive ready with the correct mainshaft. I already have a rebuilt overdrive and thought It would work with the existing gearbox but have been educated that it will not. It pays to do your research.Any other necessary pieces that I will require would also be welcomed.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am on the hunt for a Series V gearbox that is overdrive ready with the correct mainshaft. I already have a rebuilt overdrive and thought It would work with the existing gearbox but have been educated that it will not. It pays to do your research.Any other necessary pieces that I will require would also be welcomed.
You are looking for the parts that are unlikely to be sold separately...

If you are serious about putting OD in you will save a lot more time and grief just buying a full unit... It's unlikely someone will have a complete box with full sync OD main shaft, adaptor , shortened tail shaft, loom and relay and would be missing the OD unit.. the part common to all other OD spec cars...

You are better off buying a complete setup off someone like @Jeff Howarth

Or... If you are lucky . Maybe someone like @65sunbeam or @Jaars may have a setup stateside

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't have any OD units. I do have some used OD parts (no mainshafts) that I got from Tiger Tom a few years ago when I bought all of his used parts.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't have any OD units. I do have some used OD parts (no mainshafts) that I got from Tiger Tom a few years ago when I bought all of his used parts.
Yeah, you beat me to 'em by about 2 weeks, tho I admit I didn't know he was liquidating them until I stopped by to pick up a pair of lamps I bought on eBay.

Back on to overdrives: Are the OD shafts for non- and all-synchro gearboxes the same, or do they differ?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hmmmm, Repo OD main/output shafts, sounds like a GREAT project.

OR, what about moding std main shafts?

Fix a shaft?

That depends on the problem, one common problem is a twisted shaft.

These days, production capabilities are endless.

DW

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
That is a question I have, also. But it would make sense that they would be the same
I have a non-syncro, OD trans and a good syncro, non OD trans and thought about the possible swap. It seems to me the non syncro
trans shifts differently in that the pattern is tighter and more to the center and right. Just wonder if that is a correct observation?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmmmm, Repo OD main/output shafts, sounds like a GREAT project.

OR, what about moding std main shafts?

Fix a shaft?

That depends on the problem, one common problem is a twisted shaft.

These days, production capabilities are endless.

DW
The twisted shaft issue is why I obtained a hybrid unit (I believe it used a beefier main shaft from a Hunter OD trans) from John "the box" Roseby's when I was at his UK place a couple summers ago. Roseby is the guru for any vintage transmissions or OD unit repairs. Roseby doesn't like to be bothered with the shipping process, so, Jeff Horwath handles those logistics. Also, Horwath scours the planet for all the bits necessary for a complete installation.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Methinx you're right, Kevin.

Someday — when I have nothing better to do — I'll do a deep dive into the parts manual and see if I can find out.
Yeah, I was going to do that, but I’m cleaning gutters instead! :D:(

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
That is a question I have, also. But it would make sense that they would be the same
I have a non-syncro, OD trans and a good syncro, non OD trans and thought about the possible swap. It seems to me the non syncro
trans shifts differently in that the pattern is tighter and more to the center and right. Just wonder if that is a correct observation?
Just exchanged emails with my good friend and expert, John Roseby, about Alpine OD transmission's main shafts. "As for the shafts, they are totally different and both like gold dust to get hold of, in fact you can't , only way is to buy a complete box."

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yeah, you beat me to 'em by about 2 weeks, tho I admit I didn't know he was liquidating them until I stopped by to pick up a pair of lamps I bought on eBay.

Back on to overdrives: Are the OD shafts for non- and all-synchro gearboxes the same, or do they differ?
They are different.. the later one , all sync is slightly thinner and more prone to twisting

You can make an od mainahaft by splicing a OD mainshaft end onto a non of shaft.. this can be achieved by using a Dtype OD shaft from another car ( Volvo, Healey etc) but it's a job for a very good engineering company.. there was a shop in Australia that used to do this.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan, that is why I got the hybrid OD trans from Roseby. :)
Jerry , is your OD a j-type unit installed onto an Alpine trans? The J-type od is stronger .. but on rootes cars fitted to the later box which is different dimensionaly( larger) to alpines... You can fit the whole later style setup but it takes some metal massage.

aservfortom2

Donation Time
After reviewing all the positive feedback regarding my quest to find an overdrive ready trans box and then realizing my efforts would most likely be futile, I contacted both John Roseby and Jeff Howarth and will be getting a complete Series V overdrive system of theirs. I still have the rebuilt/refurbished overdive unit I got off Ebay several weeks ago and would be willing to let it go for what I paid for it($700) or an amount reasonably close and I would cover the shipping. Cheers and Happy New Year to all.