• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Brakes

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
My old Gerling servo is done for. I want to run without a servo and saw some threads that talk about going to a Summit Racing Master cylinder. I couldn't find anything that looked right on their web page. Can anyone put me onto the right one? I just istalled a new M/C from Sunbeam Specialties (I think) last year but I guess the stock series V M/C won't do the job without a servo. I don't mind a little heavier pedal pressure, but I don't want to have to stand on the brakes either.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
stock M/C

I run stock Sunbeam master cylinders with out servos on both my SV & Tiger they both stop fine.(street driving with afew bursts when needed).
Regards,
Jeff

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Series V brakes - stock m/c

Thanks Jeff, good to hear that. I guess the next step is to take a look at routing the brake line to by pass the servo.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I used a S 1or2 alpine master on my Tiger and Alpine and have had no problems and as good of brakes as when the booster worked.:cool:

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
I by-passed my servo when it failed the car took more pedal to stop, but since I had it repaired by White Post they work great, better then before
Stephen

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
If you remove the booster then changing to a master with a smaller bore helps with the leg effort needed.

Stock bore 0.875" for Alpines that had a booster (Series 3-V).
Stock bore 0.7" for Alpines that did not have a booster (Series I-II).

This 0.7" bore Wilwood is _almost_ a direct bolt-on.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-6088

You have to do some work to the push rod or get a proper clevis made. I ground down the retaining washer from my stock master and used it and the stock pushrod/clevis on the Wilwood master. I will try to dig up my photos and post when I get home. The were on webshots but my account on there is now gone...

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I guess any Willwood remote reservoir is ok for use with the m/c.

The nice thing about the Wilwood I posted is you can use the existing Alpine reservoir and reservoir pipe/fitting. It is basically the same configuration as the stock m/c.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I pulled mine and slapped a Triumph MC on in it's place. Fitted right up and works fine without the booster.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I'v got an SV without the booster and with stock M/C...Stops fine and pedal effort isn't bad at all....
With a booster..I'd guess that breathing on the pedal would bring you to a stop....LOL