• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Brake Master Cylinder help

Bok_Tukalo

Donation Time
I am having difficulty re-attaching the line from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. I am reluctant to force the issue since the nut was stripped to begin with was removed with great difficulty. I am worried that I haven't threaded it correctly and was wondering if it should be so hard to tighten down completely.

Also, could there be anything other than bad threading or still too loose causing a leak at that point?

Thank you.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I find when reattaching any hydraulic line, it's always best to have at least one of the parts free to move about so you can accurately line things up... otherwise you're very likely to cross-thread it and make a bodge of things.

Also, when re-inserting any bolt or screw (or, in this case, the line ferrule) into the threads where it has once been, I rotate the screw/bolt/ferrule anti-clockwise until I hear or feel it 'click'... because when it does the threads have lined up and it has dropped into its proper tightening position... then I begin to thread it in. This method has saved me cross-threading on countless occasions.

If you have cross-threaded it, yes, it will very likely leak like a sieve and will probably never be right... it should NOT be tough to screw it in and you should be able to do it with your fingers for the most part. If you can't, then it's probably bodged and likely beyond repair. Sorry.

Bok_Tukalo

Donation Time
I find when reattaching any hydraulic line, it's always best to have at least one of the parts free to move about so you can accurately line things up... otherwise you're very likely to cross-thread it and make a bodge of things.

Also, when re-inserting any bolt or screw (or, in this case, the line ferrule) into the threads where it has once been, I rotate the screw/bolt/ferrule anti-clockwise until I hear or feel it 'click'... because when it does the threads have lined up and it has dropped into its proper tightening position... then I begin to thread it in. This method has saved me cross-threading on countless occasions.

If you have cross-threaded it, yes, it will very likely leak like a sieve and will probably never be right... it should NOT be tough to screw it in and you should be able to do it with your fingers for the most part. If you can't, then it's probably bodged and likely beyond repair. Sorry.

Thank you.

agmason54

Donation Time
SV MC help

Yes it is fungooed. I would get a fitting and use it to 'tap' the MC threads and then come up with a new reservoir line with good fittings and then follow Puffs advice. I have the line and loose fittings to fix it....
agm