• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series IV brake master cylinder size?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Sorry if this has been repeated, but I would like to find out what the correct bore size is for the brake master cylinder on an series IV Alpine fitted with a brake booster (if that makes any difference)? I believe the series V has a 7/8 in bore. Can someone please confirm. Would a 3/4 bore master cylinder be OK with a booster?

Thank you, Robin.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
brake master size

Robin,
I believe 7/8 is correct. A 3/4 master will work fine with the booster. It will give you approx 25% more braking power than stock, with the trade off being the need to push the brake pedal 25% farther to move the same amount of fluid. The early series, non - boostered, cars had .70 master.

I ran an early series master and no booster in my Series V for years, but have returned to the stock set up recently because I drive in heavy urban traffic at times. You can be running along at 60 mph, then suddenly be in a panic stop to zero. The booster is definitely better suited to those conditions.