• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II, 2.8 V6 issue

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, the FM 40 is not a tone I am interested in, thus the ? mark.
W/ regard to the exhaust leak we have not been able to locate it, it just is not obvious at all, but the exhaust modification will go forward sometime this winter. A single pipe from mufflers back, w/ a resonator would be an easier fix and maybe solve the noise issue The car is back on jack stands and again I cannot find any leaks. I do detect slight smoke from the left pipe but much less than previous.
W/ regards to the intake cross flow, it does allow exhaust to pass thru the intake, and requiring less choke time.I guess.
On a brighter note, the 63 GT and 67 ST/OD [ 67 is for sale { are presently running well.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dynomax turbo muffler is quiet with a deep tone. Summit has small glasspack resonator you could put before the chrome tip.
When the Duratec was first built, it had a glaspack and a muffler shop "turbo" muffler. The gas pressure spikes of the four banger soon killed the turbo muffler. Installed a 2" Dynomax turbo and it has been simply great. Very muted around town and never gets really loud.
Bill

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor

Attachments

• IMG_20231018_110924_868.jpg
    IMG_20231018_110924_868.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 25

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
What a hoot. The chrome tips were spot welded at 3 points around the pipes leaving open spaces. Can't believe it took several days to
figure out that. So, I am going to a rear resonator, at least 2.25 , y pipe and see how the sound comes out.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I agree with Mike H. Sounds like valve seals. And my experience is that under the hood these engines tend to be noisy. Ever hear a Mustang 289HO with solids? Loud.
I have gotten lots of good info about 2.8s on Ranger forums.
I have owned many Po9rsches over the years and air coolds are notorious for valve seal issues. Old Beetles called for engine removal and valve job every 40k miles. U know how I foiuind out? Sucked a valve at about that mileage. Rule of thumb is never buy a Porsche air cooled without a leakdown test. If bad leakdown put stethoscope in valve covers and at exhaust pipe. Whoozing in pipe says bad rings and in VC bad valve although if not adjusted correct willl give you false reading/. CHeap diagnostic tool

-Pressure-Compression-Detector/dp/B0C5H8KBQ3/ref=asc_df_B0C5H8KBQ3?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920938826178&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had the driver side head rebuilt recently and new valve stem seals were installed at that time.As for cracks the builder gave it a good bill of health.
At this point the engine runs very well w/ a notice of smoke out the pipe. so I am thinking oil may be getting past thee rings in # 4 or 5. After I get more miles on it Ill check thenplugs to see how they are burning.
I was under the car today doing some measuring for the Y pipe and resonator, W/ a short, round resonator there is space . Will probably end up taking it to my favorite shop . get it done in a couple of hours. In that case will likely use the aluminized units.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, said he did and based on cost and reciept I think so. Feeling pretty confident the head is a good one .
Ill do a leak down test in the next couple of days. I think the local parts store will loan me a kit. If not , they are pretty cheap to buy.
In the mean time I did a xhaust gas to coolant check which was negative.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, those ports connect the exhaust, side to side, and the exhaust flows through the intake. Seems a real effective way to warm the intake.