• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II, 2.8 V6 issue

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The holes mentioned by Filister are connected to the exhaust ports in the heads. One on each side and make sense in that it warms the intake faster.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, the EGR valve is located on the driver side valve cover an exhausts gases back into the intake.
I have replaced the intake gasket and think I have a good seal , readjusted the valves to spec, set the timing again,
plug gaps were correct, adjusted air/fuel mixture, starts and runs great. Took it on a run through and about the neighborhood.
Checked the plug burn and all looked the way you would want , water temp was normal.
Still think the valves are too noisy and pipes are too loud for my ears and neighbors.. The latter I can fix easily, the other I am not sure.
But I think the engine is ok.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, the EGR valve is located on the driver side valve cover an exhausts gases back into the intake.
I have replaced the intake gasket and think I have a good seal , readjusted the valves to spec, set the timing again,
plug gaps were correct, adjusted air/fuel mixture, starts and runs great. Took it on a run through and about the neighborhood.
Checked the plug burn and all looked the way you would want , water temp was normal.
Still think the valves are too noisy and pipes are too loud for my ears and neighbors.. The latter I can fix easily, the other I am not sure.
But I think the engine is ok.

What exhaust manifolds are you using?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
If you have the Comp cam DanR has, the valve lash should be .010 IN and .012 EX.

Last edited:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The exhaust manifold are Jose V6 headers ; the engine is an 83 Bronco II so I think the .014 intake and .016 exhaust settings are correct.
What are your thoughts re: going to say .013 and .015 on the valves ?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Are those lash settings hot or cold. The lash will close up when hot with iron heads. Cold, will be more. With aluminum heads hot will be less. I use a piece of heater hose like a stethoscope and you should still hear a slight tick.

Last edited:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I adjusted the valves cold, enough to feel a little drag. Took it out for a drive and still thought they were loose/noisy.

Think I will tighten the intake to .012 , the exhaust to .014 and see if it makes any difference. I have seen one post on a Ranger forum stating
you could go as much as .006 but to me that feels like getting into burned exhaust valve territory.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The 2.8 does have solid lifters, so they will be a little noisier. Do you know what shape the lifters and cam are in? I remember when the zinc in oil was reduced. The cam in my 71 Pinto developed flat spots.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Rootes rocker arms are subject to wearing a groove on the face that moves the valves. When you use a wide feeler gauge to adjust, the blade bridges over the worn groove to give a false reading that's too wide by the amount of the wear.

Not sure if the 2.8 is subject to the same type rocker wear, but it's something you could check.

Just a thought,

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, today John and I " knarfeled the Garfunkel" [ the Coneheads ] and I think we made progress. Basically we redid everything.
I think it is running [accelerating better] starts easily. Maybe I expect 40 year old, rebuilt push rod engine to sound like my Lexus, however the old engine gets much better gas mileage. My next project will be downsize the exhaust system to get a better muffler choice.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
My next project will be downsize the exhaust system to get a better muffler choice.
Might sound improbable, but you might try just downsizing the tailpipe from the muffler back.

Not sure where your system is mounted but if it's muffler over the rear axle and out the back, you might have room to add a small glass pack where the Alpine originally had a resonator. That would probably quieten and remove some "bark" if that's what you find objectionable. If you are having a "drone" at steady cruise speeds, that's a different solvable issue.

Just something to ponder,

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Actually I was thinking about cutting before the mufflers, install a y pipe then a single FlowMaster 40 ? and a 2 inch out the back. Do you think a cross over before the mufflers ( current set up ) would make a significant difference in the sound. I would like a sound more like a stock Tiger, knowing a v6 will not replicate the Tiger tone. The current mufflers are in same location as stock Alpine,and no rear resonator.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
OK, today John and I " knarfeled the Garfunkel" [ the Coneheads ] and I think we made progress. Basically we redid everything.
I think it is running [accelerating better] starts easily. Maybe I expect 40 year old, rebuilt push rod engine to sound like my Lexus, however the old engine gets much better gas mileage. My next project will be downsize the exhaust system to get a better muffler choice.
Today I blocked both tail pipes again with same results - no pressure building up.
I couldn't edit to downsize the a video so here's a 30 second video link.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
a single FlowMaster 40 ?
Are you sure about that choice?

From Summit 's site description of FlowMaster 40:

Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers
Looking for the most aggressive sound in the Flowmaster muffler line? Then take a look at their 40 Series mufflers.

Just keep in mind the muffler doesn't produce or add sound. It can only tune and/or remove sound produced by the engine's exhaust pulses.

The new video certainly sounds like a leakage is present. That means nothing on an internet video with my hearing.

Keep 'em on the road,

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dynomax turbo muffler is quiet with a deep tone. Summit has small glasspack resonator you could put before the chrome tip.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I’m not sure a cross over would have any effect on a V6. They are primarily used to deal with the standing wave created by the firing order of a V8 because of two cylinders firing back to back in the same bank. Increase scavenging. With the V6 you have an even firing order bank to bank.