• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I/II windscreen tonneau stud specifications

alpine_64

Donation Time
After a long search I finally got a NOS early series tonneau covers. I need to install the clip ins into the screen frame at the A post ...anyone know the size, thread , depth?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael, congrats at first. In NOS condition a very rare find indeed. The A- post screen fasteners on the early series are the long peg type as shown here:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-978-lift-the-dot-fastener

This particular one has a 2BA thread. I would need to check whether it's No 10/32 UNF instead. For the thread length would say around 7/16 will do...

P.S. You may still have the slotted chromed original screws closing the holes as a thread reference, right?

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, congrats at first. In NOS condition a very rare find indeed. The A- post screen fasteners on the early series are the long peg type as shown here:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-978-lift-the-dot-fastener

This particular one has a 2BA thread. I would need to check whether it's No 10/32 UNF instead. For the thread length would say around 7/16 will do...

P.S. You may still have the slotted chromed original screws closing the holes as a thread reference, right?
Hey Bernd,

Thanks.. I had been looking for a while.. it's the later style SII with the 3 studs on the rear deck not the one that goes into the boot drains... Perfect for my 63 production late SII with the 3 studs already from new.

On the screen.. sadly....no blanking screws hence the question.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sounds like that one :

View attachment 28096

Checked the thread and would tend to say it's 2BA, so the ones from the link should fit...
Yes.. that's the style... Haven't seen it in the vynil yet ... But looking forward to fitting it... Just hope the pegs all align well.. the screen fixing is an interesting challenge as in theory the rake could cause adjustment to the tension of the cover

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The pegs except the center one didn't quite align at the rear in my case so had to put 2 additional fasteners on the tonneau ( check the picture).
Tonneau itself was rather good condition with zipper working. It only had 2 punctures which I sealed from underneath using bicycle tube repair patches. Worked quite well and they are water tight. One tear on the side at the B- post peg I stitched with my good old black sewing thread . After all it came out nicely and is much easier to fit than my other S1 original with the trunk bulge. I prefer to take that one for trips...

alpine_64

Donation Time
The pegs except the center one didn't quite align at the rear in my case so had to put 2 additional fasteners on the tonneau ( check the picture).
Tonneau itself was rather good condition with zipper working. It only had 2 punctures which I sealed from underneath using bicycle tube repair patches. Worked quite well and they are water tight. One tear on the side at the B- post peg I stitched with my good old black sewing thread . After all it came out nicely and is much easier to fit than my other S1 original with the trunk bulge. I prefer to take that one for trips...
I did notice the extra clips on the cover. I'm hoping mine align nicely.. we will see. The cover I got appears to have the front clips to mount in the screen vents.. but I'm not 100% sure yet... Not had a chance to open. The box and lay on the car

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, the front clips do fit to the vent pegs, but they are nasty ones to attach since they are very much forward oriented to the front under the screen. The later Series realisation with extra and more rearward nipples is much more easier to reach...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes, the front clips do fit to the vent pegs, but they are nasty ones to attach since they are very much forward oriented to the front under the screen. The later Series realisation with extra and more rearward nipples is much more easier to reach...
My current one has the snaps at the front on the vents.. if you use the tennex style clips it's better...you don't have to pull back on the studs and you can more easily push them down.. to remove.. slide hand upside down to front and lift them up with 2 fingers.. I switched my cover to the tennex ones at the front early on to make life easier

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My current one has the snaps at the front on the vents.. if you use the tennex style clips it's better...you don't have to pull back on the studs and you can more easily push them down.. to remove.. slide hand upside down to front and lift them up with 2 fingers.. I switched my cover to the tennex ones at the front early on to make life easier
That sounds like a good way to do it. I'd seen those clips before but would have never thought about the benefits of using them for the front of the tonneau. Here is a link to some from Moss for anyone not familiar with them. https://mossmotors.com/227-808-tena...S1roD8Yuoq2qhpricMsaaZWa4PGbe_sBoC8d0QAvD_BwE

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael,
In that video there is also certain coverage for the early models included. Guess who supported that ;-)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
The video covers a wide range of tonneau fitments for various Series of cars. As Bernd says he supplied some of the material to make it.
Tim R