• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 5 Overdrive Relay

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Among some other places I believe Vic-Brit sells the relay, if you want to go that route.

Tom j

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I haven't seen the later relay available anymore. I think thats the early relay, which would work with the early wiring schematic. The colume switch needs changing to the SPST and not the later momentary SW.
Jan

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Jan,
I would think this would be an answer to my delima. Am I correct in my thinking?
Quote: jumpinjan; I haven't seen the later relay available anymore. I think thats the early relay, which would work with the early wiring schematic. The colume switch needs changing to the SPST and not the later momentary SW.
Quote; Where would I find the wiring diagram for the OD system?
Bob

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
If you can look through old archives, there is a way to wire two relays together to create the self canceling version. I believe an old Horn had it too. Hopefully someone else can come up with it.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Hi All
I had best just start with a disclaimer that I'm NO electrician and in the past I've had my share of Lucas and Bosch smoke, but looking around the internet and the Horn, adapting others ideas I've concluded if you wire a standard on/off relay to operate the solonoid and latch it with a switching relay you can recreate the action of the 6RA (33199E) Relay.
They go by various names depending where in the world you are, but a 40A SPNO (single pole normally open) 4 Pin is latched with a 30A SPCO (Single pole change over) 5 Pin. Both are commonly available and only cost a couple of quid each. I found some in the garage to bench test the circuit and It certainly appears to work OK. Perhaps the resident board electrician could just check the numbers for real peace of mind, for those wanting to try it I've added my wiring diagram.
Pete

Attachments

• self cancelling switch.JPG
    self cancelling switch.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 129

Pumpkin

Donation Time
OD Relay

I had mine hooked up a couple of years ago, won't work. Ser ll . My son comes over looks at it and ask??? Didn't you reverse the polarity on this? Yes, he changed two wires and zippity do da away.:D:D.

Any way double check every thing. Once it's working it will be more fun.
Cheers
Chuck

mackem

Donation Time
Hi All
I had best just start with a disclaimer that I'm NO electrician and in the past I've had my share of Lucas and Bosch smoke, but looking around the internet and the Horn, adapting others ideas I've concluded if you wire a standard on/off relay to operate the solonoid and latch it with a switching relay you can recreate the action of the 6RA (33199E) Relay.
They go by various names depending where in the world you are, but a 40A SPNO (single pole normally open) 4 Pin is latched with a 30A SPCO (Single pole change over) 5 Pin. Both are commonly available and only cost a couple of quid each. I found some in the garage to bench test the circuit and It certainly appears to work OK. Perhaps the resident board electrician could just check the numbers for real peace of mind, for those wanting to try it I've added my wiring diagram.
Pete

Has anyone tried this? does it work? is your car now a burnt out shell?

mackem

Donation Time
No response - I went ahead and tried it and it works great, doesn't look nice but will do till I get a Lucas unit.

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
No response - I went ahead and tried it and it works great, doesn't look nice but will do till I get a Lucas unit.

On eoption on this is to use 2 of the earlier relays as depicted but mount one under the dash - this makes the under hood installation look more stock.

Just a tought

Jeff

mackem

Donation Time
I've re-wired it now so that both relays are under the das with just the wiring coming through the bulkhead