• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

series 4 restoration

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

the car got it's first coat of paint on monday. photos are posted on photobucket.

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

the photos don't do it justice. each coat was sanded prior to the next coat. once this final coat gets buffed it should really shine.

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

it will look nice if he doesn't use a large hammer on the drivers door. it appears that me using the wing window as a way to close the door for the last 45 years has taken it's toll on the shape of things. it was bent quite a bit. he has 10 hours in fitting the wing already and it still doesn't fit the way he wants it. the new chrome added size to several points that are critical to fitting right or we would use another but the lead time for replating is 10 to 12 weeks. but i have confidence that he'll get it right. that's all that holding up the install of the crash pad and windshield. the side windows, door locks,etc are installed. everything is done on the trunk area except letters and the new luggage carrier and all the grommets are in the fire wall. he is going to install the alpine scripts and badges and other chrome pieces but not until he buffs out the paint. he must have had the bumpers on at least 6 times to make them fit the way he wanted. this entire car has been custom built to close tolerances. it's been three years since he started on it.

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

i added a few more photos to photobucket. it now has it's emblems and steering. i took the rear end to him today. the bumpers will be on this week also. jeans car donated it's old bumpers since it got a set of fresh rechromes.

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

i posted two photos today. the shop is done with his part and we're hauling it home saturday.

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

i posted a few more photos. we brought it home today,needs cleaning and assembling. it has to be on the road by mid july.

65beam

Donation Time
restoration

maybe i should bring it and a lot of parts this week and we can have a put it together party.

65beam

Donation Time
series 4

the series 4 went back to the shop in mid January for a rub out of the paint and also final tweaking. it turned out we had to do some trans work since the trans locked in 2nd gear when they took it for a test drive. nothing a trans replacement couldn't take care of as three teeth on the cluster gear came up missing. they also had to rebuild the distributor as the advance went bad and hung up from 5 years of non use. it didn't want to start at 40 btdc. there also was something wrong with the engine and we found the new set of push rods had one that was about 1/4 inch shorter than the others. we ended up using the old rods. the spring shop also arched the rear springs too much and we had to redo that. they went over the car from bumper to bumper. one of the things we found is that the new motor mounts being sold must be a harder rubber compound and engine vibration transfers to the chassis. it went to a couple cruise in's at Dayton and it survived several runs by the owner of the shop so after a rub out and detailing we picked up the car on sunday. i'll post some photos this weekend after I install the door mirrors and driving lights. it's great to have it back after close to 5 years of restoration.