• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 Windshield and Frame

AlpineII

Donation Time
Rebuilding my Series 3 windshield frame, new glass and all rubbers and of course having it painted to the new body colour. This is not the same beast to work on as the coupe of Series II's I have done. There's actually rust to deal with on these!!!:(

Shoulds have the body painted and thee windshield frame going back on in the next few weeks. Any words of wisdon on gettign the new glass on this windshield frame and or getting all the rubbers in place?

Also a little concerned about getting the rake of the windshield right. I am going be leaving the hardtop on most of the time so will want to get this right from the get-go. What are the guiding words on adjustmenhtrs to the windshield rake? Are there "leveling kits" available?

Here is a phot of the engine compartment with new motor mounts in place and epoxy primed.

socorob

Donation Time
I will be doing the same thing in a few weeks. Sunbeam Specialties sell some kind of adjustable nuts for the windshield. Im not sure how they work since I havent done it yet.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I did this last spring. There are multiple postings here on the ins and outs of windshield replacement; it is definitely worth spending a little time searching and reviewing them. As for the adjustable nuts that SS sells, I did not use them and regretted it. Those who have used them highly recommend them. I will take that advice the next time.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I personally hve found it easier to install the glass and most if the trim before mounting the frame on the car, you're not leaning across and/or risking paint damage that way. What I do,

1 After the frame is repaired and painted, mount the glass in the weatherstrip.
2 Take the glass and set it in the frame. Starting from the bottom work around and up the sides, then across the top. Some folks use a waxed heavy string or cord to pull the strip around the frame flange. I use a small screwdriver since about the only place work is necessary is from the top corners to the top center. It also helps that when the frame is off the car it's more flexible.
3 Install the side trims, should mount back in the same holes that the rivets came out of.
4 Install the rain gutters, also match the holes. be aware that for #3 and #4 that it always appeared to me that the rivet holes were hand drilled without a jig so they're not exactly the same from side to side.
5 Install the top trim strip.
6 Install the frame. I find it a bit easier to use some weatherstrip cement to install the frame to body seal on the frame first and let it sit for awhile to setup, that way it's easier to keep it in place as you're standing in the center if the car putting the frame in the holes.
7 After installing the frame, install the lower trim. Work the adjusting nuts to trim it fore and aft then tighten down.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Mike,
Thanks for the great run down on the glass the the tip on the body to frame. That'll save some frustration.
Anyone have a tip on how much to trim the dash pad?

socorob

Donation Time
I was just looking at the SS catalog. The adjustable nuts say they are for a S3-5. I have a S2, does a S2 not need them?

mikephillips

Donation Time
I don't know offhand, but it may not. The earlier cars had a different frame and cowl sheetmetal, as well as not having the quarter windows. The only thing I could see them possibly being used for would be to adjust for the hardtop if it wasn't fitting right.

socorob

Donation Time
Thanks, I plan on doing this in the next few weeks. Im about to order my dashpad, so if i need those nuts i want to order them at the same time.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The SI/II used wedges on the outer edges to set the screen. These are almost always missing, You need on a SII to make sure there is an even gap from the window guiding channel to the screen frame.. so often the screen is leaning back to far and that causes the top of the screen frame to touch the window guide.

Also note the early setup there is no frame then trim.. the frame is chromed and made of 4 parts.. you need to get them all tight so there is no gaps.

Finally.. before you lock it all in make sure of the fit of the soft and hard tops.

AlpineII

Donation Time
It has taken a while to get back to this but I have had a complete rotisserie restoration on the go, doing a complete V6 engine overhaul/upgrade and am now re-assembling. Gotta get the windshield together and tomorrow is the day.

I bought the adjusting nuts for the windshield but.... The windshield frame studs are too narrow and the adjustable nuts just slide right up to the frame. The studs seemed original, it was completely cleaned to bare metal leaving only a little of the lead at the seams. I have an early Series 3 (# 280) and maybe it's an oddball.

Gonna use a butyl cord between the body and the seal under the windshield instead of the caulk rope some have used. I guess we'll ses in the long-run how it works out.