• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 rear axle hub removal

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi folks. I'm new to the club with a 64 GT model I've had for nearly 50 years. Here in Ohio we hold on to things. My issue is trying to get the rear hub off. I have the axle out and using a 2 point puller with small sledge. I haven't used heat yet butIMG_20231015_162251046.jpg is it the only way? I wanted to replace bearings and seal/ gaskets. Thanks for any advice. Glassman8188

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
That puller used to come with three legs, and you could buy a fourth. The folks in England apply heat with a ginormous soldering iron. They leave it on the hub for about twenty minutes. I use the two legs, wind it up tight, and tap on the forcing screw with a three pound hammer. tap, tighten, tap, tighten. Do not get in a hurry.... best wishes!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Using all 4 legs is absolutely essential, otherwise and under high pressure you'll deform the hub or the wheel studs. The steel plate helps, but even pressure distribution is the key. Some heat, but not too much helps. Turn the center nut around to present an even and flush surface to the puller center screw...

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also have an early SIV GT. But, I did not have the trouble you are having even after the Alpine sat in storage for more than 25 years. Of course I utilized a 4 arm puller.

The two and three ones do not provide the adequate uniform pressure needed.

As bernd_st stated above: " 4 legs is absolutely essential"....

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have the same puller , with 4 legs. Never have an issue pulling hubs and don't use heat .
Use an impact driver and 3 lb hand sledge (only use the sledge occasionally).

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for the advice. I figured 4 legs would be better. Tried 3 it pulled off center. I was looking at buying a hydraulic puller. Afraid of using too much heat I can get carried away. I've tightened and banged. Is it best to heat the shaft, with torch or is propane enough?

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
THanks All. I'm going to get a 4 point puller and ditch the heat for now. I just rebuilt the transmission and didn't like how loud the rear end was. Replacing ring gear bolts on GP.

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
The puller came in today and the hubs came off, with a little propane heat. I never realized how bad the seals were. New bearings and seals should do it. Thanks for the support everyone. Glassman

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
The puller came in today and the hubs came off, with a little propane heat. I never realized how bad the seals were. New bearings and seals should do it. Thanks for the support everyone. Glassman
Would you share the link for the puller?

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks It's hard to believe how tight they get. I believe the keyway slightly rust locking it up. The 7394 puller with 4 legs works good, just very crowded fit. Live and learn . Glassman