• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 gas cap

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

I believe the series 3 gas cap is unique to the series 3 and thus not commonly available. I was cleaning up rust inside the cap and can get it pretty clean but there is something inside that is rattling around and making the turning of the cap crunchy. I am assuming it is a rusty/broken spring debris?? The two tabs that are used to secure the cap to the gas tank tube also serve to hold the cap internals from popping out. I am hesitant to distort them for removal to find out what is lurking under the cap for fear of not being about to return the cap tabs to the proper shape. But I see no other way.

Does anyone know what is under the cap and/or has taken one of these apart and serviced with success?

Thank you

Rick

P1160364r.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The series 3 gas cap is actually the same as used on several 60's BSA Motorcycles. Google it and you'll find proper replacements ;)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Welcome. If I remember correctly there are two different diameters, so make sure you get the correct one...

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I bought a motorcycle cap for my S3. Relatively inexpensive, looked nice and fit fine. Making a left turn with a full(ish) tank of gas would cause fuel to spill down the fender (wing) of the car. So, I ordered one from Sunbeam Specialties. Better quality for sure, but had the same problem with fuel spilling. I never figured out why it was doing that. Anyone else have that problem? I resolved it by sealing off the vent hole in the cap and tapping into the balance hose with a small diameter fuel hose and taking it out through the bottom of the fender just behind the wheel well. No problems now.