• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 wiper motor

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Trying to bench test my series 2 wiper motor that sat idle for years. I cleaned out the old grease and lubricated. Put the black wire to earth on battery. There are 2 terminals and the original wires one green and one black and green. Can I put either to positive on battery? I could not get the motor to run on either wire? Am I going wrong or is the motor cooked??20230205_113433.jpg

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
You probably have a single speed wiper so the below still works-ground is the wiper body.

The ground wire goes to negative 12 volts.

Green goes to positive 12 volts.

Red/green and ground wire together gives high speed.

Red/green and brown/green and ground wire together gives low speed.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The unit has + power all the time and the - ground is on the dash switch. The park switch opens the ground and stops the motor. When mine stopped working, it was from a wire breaking inside the motor housing. So I replaced all the wires and cleaned the brushes and it works great now.
i-HzRTp9R-XL.jpg

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
I am rewiring the car with negative ground. As far as I know the motor should run either way (I think)

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
The unit has + power all the time and the - ground is on the dash switch. The park switch opens the ground and stops the motor. When mine stopped working, it was from a wire breaking inside the motor housing. So I replaced all the wires and cleaned the brushes and it works great now.
i-HzRTp9R-XL.jpg
My motor looks different to yours? My ground wire is on the dumbed cap. Think ill take it apart as you did and see what happens. Thanks for the pic and info

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
My series 2 came stock negative ground. It would be a good idea to take it apart and clean everything, just watch when you the end cover with the brushes in it at you keep them in the same spots.