• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 valve cover and storage console

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi folks.

I've got a '62 Alpine and I'm looking for the correct valve cover and center storage console. So far my research indicates that my series 2 would have had the valve cover with the "SUNBEAM" script on the front of the cover. Mine has a blank where the script would have been and where the "S" would be in the center of the cover. My car is also missing the center storage console which I believe should have the side hinges.

Thanks!
Len

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Ghoul has a center console for sale on page three. Looks like it has a toggle switch and wire on the front of it.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
And, I believe you are correct that the SII should have the "S" and "Sunbeam" script in it. You have a later series valve cover. I am not sure exactly what is correct for S3 and SIV, but the SV definitely had the blank cover. It probably wouldn't take long to figure it out from the parts manual available on this site. I do know I have also seen covers with the script but no "S"; I am not sure what that was originally for. It is pretty common for later series owners to swap their blank cover out for an earlier one (that is what I did on my SV), but I have never heard of someone going the other way. Is your engine original?

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Jim.

Yes, at least the block is. The number stamped on the block just above the fuel pump matches the vin number. I've attached pics of how it currently appears...

Attachments

• Alpine engine1.jpg
    Alpine engine1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Alpine engine2.jpg
    Alpine engine2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20

alpine_64

Donation Time
On the rocker covers, from the factory on a stock car:

SI: SUNBEAM lettering no diamond in the casting.
SII: SUNBEAM lettering no diamond in the casting.
S3-V: blank area for lettering blank diamond in the casting.

optional: SUNBEAM lettering + S in a diamond.

then there are the Harringotn covers with the additional LM badge riverted on and the HOLBAY covers from the later cars.

agmason54

Donation Time
Mk
My dim memory seems to tell me that SlV had SUNBEAM at the front and all else flat snd blank like Sll as you describe.There is another style with the S at the rear and the oil filler towards the front where the S eould be normally with SUNBEAM across the front.I have seen this on Sll and Slll that l believe were original to the cars.I have two of these weirdos...To confuse things more l saw the same style an SlV once...
What gives?
Agm

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
On the rocker covers, from the factory on a stock car:

SI: SUNBEAM lettering no diamond in the casting.
SII: SUNBEAM lettering no diamond in the casting.
S3-V: blank area for lettering blank diamond in the casting.

optional: SUNBEAM lettering + S in a diamond.

then there are the Harringotn covers with the additional LM badge riverted on and the HOLBAY covers from the later cars.

Interesting. I parted out two SII's a few years ago and both had the S in the diamond. Since both had them, I always assumed that was stock.

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Mk
My dim memory seems to tell me that SlV had SUNBEAM at the front and all else flat snd blank like Sll as you describe.There is another style with the S at the rear and the oil filler towards the front where the S eould be normally with SUNBEAM across the front.I have seen this on Sll and Slll that l believe were original to the cars.I have two of these weirdos...To confuse things more l saw the same style an SlV once...
What gives?
Agm

Hmmm. If they're anything like what I've found with MG's, maybe they just used whatever was available from their stockpile at the time. Or if a certain cover was still in stock when the next series started, they used those up before going to the next version. Also, dealers may have swapped them per customer preferences, although that seems a little more iffy. Isn't research fun? ;)

Len

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers
I sold Sl parts to a guy in Shri Lanka who would not take a valve cover with the S
He said his car came with out it and he had the only Alpine there but l later heard from the owner if tbe late Arthur C Clark's SIV GT there also...
Basically there is no rhyme or reason to valve covers.The first guy Malik Mendis died but if the other guy calls me again l will ask him what cover is on the SIV GT.He claimed he knew Mr Mendis and wanted to know what l sold him since his widow never opened his package.
Small world
Amywho l have any cover you like...
Al
330 424 0236

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'll still stick with what i said in the first round re: change in rocker covers.. am quite confident in the info.

Lots of cars seemed to have acquired the early SUNBEAM ones over the years and lots of people seemed to have bought the optional one with S back in the day.

Al i have seen the reversed rockers ona few cars over the years in the states.. am still puzzeled if they were a rapier cover.. but even then.. not sure. It seems odd given the plunging bonnet line on the cars to switch the filler to the front.. especially as the early cars had shallow opening bonnets

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is another style with the S at the rear and the oil filler towards the front where the S eould be normally with SUNBEAM across the front.I have seen this on Sll and Slll that l believe were original to the cars.I have two of these weirdos...To confuse things more l saw the same style an SlV once...
What gives?
Agm

For anyone who is interested, here is the kind Al was talking about, just listed on eBay. It looks like the oil filler tube has been modified to keep it from hitting the hood of the car.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Good-U...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ca0a3015&vxp=mtr