• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 hardtop rebuild with modifications

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Back in the 80s I added flat bars to my hardtop to make it a three window, never had any luck with replacement windows. This way I can make flat windows out of plexiglass, at a much better price and strengthening it at the same time. Over the years my hardtop has cracked all the way through at the rear mounting pin holes and I don't like the 45 degree cuts in the seals at the corners.
IMG_2940-L.jpg

I picked up another hardtop in great shape to start with. Sandblasted and fitted to my car.
RIMG0752-L.jpg

Rolled some aluminum.
RIMG0790-L.jpg

And make the up-rights.
RIMG0791-L.jpg

RIMG0792-L.jpg

Test fit.
RIMG0794-L.jpg

RIMG0797-L.jpg

Next step is to trim a little more and weld them in, then sand the welds down smooth. I plan on powder coating the top, not sure what color, flat, semi or gloss black. Or maybe the same metallic silver as my wheels, am afraid it will look like I bought a top from a silver car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I love the shape of the early tops, and wrap arpund rear window.. But it can produce stress cracks in the alumimium.

Your new effort looks great.. Almost like the series I soft top ... Instead of paiting it you could trim in in black vynil and it would look like a perfectly formed soft top :-D

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I was thinking about that, I think it would look good and help with the sound. Not sure how bad the price would be.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
How you you mount the plexiglass into that. I am very interested in updating my antiquated hardtop.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I ordered Trim-Lok LK1663. I plan on adding a 3/8" by 1/16" strip along the top and sides to make the opening for the windows an 1/8" thick like the bottom edge. I think this will help hold the windows in better, but not sure if it's needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trim-Lok-EPDM-Dense-Rubber-Window-Locking-Gasket-and-Weather-Stripping-Window/202324962704?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I like your thinking and fabrication!

Don't know that increasing the side / top edge thickness to 1/8" will hold the window material in place any better, but it should certainly be more "weather tight" and physically robust and is what I would do. Understood that being "rain tight" might not be a big deal in Bakersfield, but wind noise and "dust tight" might be.

What are you going to do about the thickness mis-match where the new aluminum skins overlap / end on the top and bottom flanges? Putting the filler strips outside the top flange and inside the side pieces would give a consistent thickness at the top joints, but I don't see an easy way to eliminating the extra thickness where the side pieces overlap / end on the 1/8" thick bottom flange.

greenbean

Donation Time
I like the fact that you have a dog that is marginally interested in your work and is looking for a spot to do his or her business, but not on top of your project --- that's an understanding dog;););)

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Barry
The plan is to trim the up rights so it will be a edge joint, I made them a little over size so I can clamp them in place and mark the final cut. I am going to sandblast them today and if I have time, trim them to fit.
Greenbean
Yes she's a good girl, helped me all day.

Last edited: