• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 Ford 4.0 swap info

jmorefi

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looking for some guidance here. I have a 62 Alpine that I purchased as a shell. No engine, trans or interior but, nearly rust free and very solid. I am looking for information on installing a Ford 4.0 OHV (Cologne) and a manual trans (likely a Ranger donor) into the car. I see lots of posts on the 2.8 swaps but they are becoming harder to find and I prefer fuel injection. Questions: anyone have experience with this swap? What issues may I have with the FI system? I am to the point now where I need a decision on the engine. I have completely rewired the car and installed front and rear disc brakes.
I appreciate any help.
Jack
Alpine.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was told about 5 - 6 years ago it couldn't be done. Lots of Guys said you would have to cut the Alpine up badly.

Steering would be a must to change out and lots of other "must do's".

I started with a Jose kit back in 2009 for my early SIV RED GT BW35. The kit had the standard transmission bracket (four bolts pattern) but my BW35 had the three bolt pattern and it sat farther back than the manual. I had to design and fabricate what I needed. That was just for starting. Next was the engine mounts. I did not like for them to sit off the rear of the crossmember. I designed my own. After finally sittin the 2.8 V6 in the Red GT I discovered the headers stuck out the sides behind the front wheels..... all good for drag racing, exactly what Jose was good at.

Took me three years to design and finally get my "Straightback Headers" functioning.

Those were a few things, but there were more, much more. Back to the FORD 4. 0 OHV V6. Remember they said it couldn't be done. Well, I must say it is nearly impossible. After more than three years, I may be seeing the light or fruits from my labors. But, Not YET!!!

I have managed to install the FORD (Cologne) 2.8 V6 into the Red GT mated to both the T5 and an A4LD. Again, the desire for the 4.0 kept popping up. Finally found an old engine for $150. Started trying to measure and figure out what would and would not work. One idea, then another, back and forth, back and forth.

I was determined to either make a fool of my self or ????

The "or" is still being attempted as of today Tuesday January 2, 2024.

The 2.8 and the 4.0 OHV are near identical block wise. The 4.0 is a bit deeper due to the longer stroke.

FORD Engineers changed several external features that throws a monkey (?) into the game, similar as when they changed the timing covers and water pumps on the 2.8. That caused all sorts of problems for us V6'ers.

Here again the water pump is designed with a much longer snout which sticks farther toward the front of the Alpine and into the area designed for the Radiator. What to do about that "lil" tiny problem? Sit the v6 back into the firewall? Not a very good option. Just look at the Tiger! That brought on the Rack & pinion. A wholly new steering system.

What to do about cooling? Bigger Radiator? Electric fans? Move the radiator forward? How can that be accomplished?

Did somebody say FI ? Factory fuel injection is a very nice functional system. Lots of changes will be needed to the Alpine for that to be utilized. How about a carb?

If a carb is the option, is there a intake manifold available? If so, how do you control fire? Fuel pressure? How to run lines? Where to and why? Is there a better way?

Back to factory Fuel Injection....When the 4.0 in mounted in the Alpine, what is considered the correct position, the FI system sits rather high and will look like a "Blower" coming down the Highway. If FI is a must, what can be done to resolve that unsightly "thing"?

Lower the engine! Right, but how much? Is it too close to the roadway? Does the steering linkage become a problem? If so, what can be done? Well if that problem is solved, what about header clearance? I got that whipped!!! Oops! Oil filter is in the way. Fuel lines, brake lines, cooler lines.....

A smart idea I had was to go without the factory FI, because I did not like it sticking up above what I considered a nice scoop should be, so my plan was to have an intake manifold built to take a 4bbl carb. Utilizing the 4.0 FI base, a top piece was fabricated similar to the top piece for the 4bbl OFY. Looks nice and should function well. Well, all was well until we ran back into a design the 4.0 has that none of the other Cologne V6's had, an engine without a distributor!

All sorts of ideas have been thrown about! Various types of fuel systems, computer systems, and types of wiring.

The 4.0 has a rather remarkable ignition system. It had a trigger from the harmonic balancer to the coil pack and a module (EDIS-6) that runs the sysyem with the factory computer. That is where I begin to truly show my ignorance.

About a month ago, I was asked a question by my friend that painted my Red GT. He asked how was the Red Gt coming? I told him I was still awaiting on someone to do the wiring so I could get it running. After a few more questions He said I needed a MEGAJOLT. That would fix it and it woud run without a distributor.

Well, I am back to getting the wiring finalized along with all the other "little" things that must be done to make it run.

Lots of my V6 Conversion Components for the 2.8 V6 will work on the 4.0. Of course the headers are one of the very, very different styles due to the exhaust port arrangement.

In the mean time, the 2.8 V6 is the best thing going in my opinion. Keep'em-on-the-Road,

DanR

Last edited:

jmorefi

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well Dan, you both encouraged me and made me take a pause! Encouraged because I like a challenge. Paused because I really didn't plan on this being a multi year project! Are you working with a SOHC or an OHV 4.0? I have dealt with the FI issues and it does lead to some hair tearing! I did install a 1994 Chevy LT1 with FI in a 66 Rambler and it runs great BUT I had someone who would strip the harness to bare essentials and reprogram the ECU. I have not found a similar resource for the 4.0. Looking at various photos of the 4.0 it looks like the earlier versions didn't have the bulbous intake. I think the 97-2000 OHV had the lower intakes. I think this photo is a 1998.

Attachments

• 1998 4o.png
    1998 4o.png
    509.3 KB · Views: 17

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do not beliecve the SOHC is even possible for the Alpine unless you are willing to completely redesign the engine compartment and a few other things.

I am sticking with the Cologne design V6's.

PM me your contact info and we can talk about this if you wish.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have seen pictures of two completed Alpines with 4.0s installed. The orange one, which was done years ago, used Ford's injection and computer, was converted to rack & pinion steering, and did have a hood scoop. IIRC the guy who did the orange one was from Canada? There was also a blue one - I don't recall any particulars.. So it definitely can be done, but there are several challenges as Dan has outlined. Hopefully, someone else can provide more details.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The one from Canada was Nicely done!

My goal is "not" to change anything such as the steering and front suspension and to not cut anything if at all possible.

So far, I have been able to meet those goals. One exception, is to re do the radiator design and mounting, hopefully.

I have looked at the factory FI with intentions of modifcations to reduce the height.

Unfortunately, I have more to do,

Last edited:

jmorefi

Bronze Level Sponsor
DanR and I had a good chat. Thanks DanR! I am still undecided on the path forward but I really want the power of the 4.0 behind the skinny pedal!
I will keep you all updated.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A nice thing about talking to Dan. He does not paint a beautiful picture, but "lays it on the line". He loves the 4.0 and its potential use in the Alpine, but is very aware of the problems encountered.
Good luck.
Bill