• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 for sale

burgy711

Donation Time
I know when I finished up the restoration on my Series III GT the thoughts that went through my mind were..........
  1. Well that was fun
  2. That took longer than I thought
  3. I did more than I set out to do on the car
  4. I spent way more than I thought I would
  5. NEXT TIME I DO THIS..... It will be a TIGER
  6. I'm not spending that money again without getting the value when I'm done
It is all about promoting the marquee.....

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose,

That is the line of thinking that is causing the problem... It isn't getting any cheaper to work on Alpines and buy parts. Prices are going up and it costs the same to restore an Alpine as it does a Tiger... Same amount of time to do body work, same amount of money to buy interior parts, same amount to buy chrome, etc... my labor rates are the same regardless if it's an Alpine or a Tiger. I don't drop my rate just because it's an Alpine... I doubt anyone else does either. I'm sure that SII has 10K invested in it easy.

Tiger prices are going up and the price of the Alpine needs to be going up too. Why in the world would you want to keep the price of the car down? That is stupid. You actually want to spend your hard earned money on an Alpine and just give it away when you go to sell it?

Prices on all collectable cars are and should be going up. If the Alpine is this wonderful car that you and everyone else on this board claims it to be, then we all need to be promoting the car to increase the value. It only help us all in the long run.

It dosen't pay to be cheap with these cars. That is why there is not a good availability of new and reprooduction parts. The guys who make them happen all say that Alpine owners are too cheap and so they won't make them. As a result they make parts that are for the Tiger and we are stuck with that. Off my soap box now. ;)
Ian,

I wasn't saying anything about what they cost to restore. Everything you say is true. What I was responding to was the statement that in the future, the Alpine would bring more money than Triumphs or MG's. As the Alpines go up in value, so will the MG's and Trumphs, and I don't think they will ever be cheaper than the Alpine.

Most people have heard of MG's and Triumphs, in fact, many guys will ask you if your Alpine is an MG. Tell me that it hasn't happened to you. I don't mind an Alpine going for 10K, if it is done well, because it would cost a lot more than that to do one, but they are a little known vehicle, so won't bring as much money. Maybe you don't agree with that assessment, but try putting an Alpine and an MG, in the very same condition, on sale and see what happens. The MG will sell first, and bring more money. I'm surely not trying to put down the Alpines, because I, like most of you, am convinced that the Alpine is a much better automobile, but a lot of guys just don't know about the Alpine.

Jose :)

O

odl21

sunbeam's aside, i don't understand the MG thing. when i was a kid in england (not so long ago - i'm 27 now), mg's were very common, very cheap and not considered much of a sports car. triumphs on the other hand were much rarer and much more common at hill climb events (the most common form of racing where i grew up). i've always loved all the TR's but always thought the MG's pretty boring and certainly ugly.

to add to that, tigers were mythical. i don't think i ever saw one in the uk and rarely saw anything with an engine larger than 4 litres (until all the modern german cars).

A

alpine in calgary

sunbeam's aside, i don't understand the MG thing. when i was a kid in england (not so long ago - i'm 27 now), mg's were very common, very cheap and not considered much of a sports car. triumphs on the other hand were much rarer and much more common at hill climb events (the most common form of racing where i grew up). i've always loved all the TR's but always thought the MG's pretty boring and certainly ugly.

to add to that, tigers were mythical. i don't think i ever saw one in the uk and rarely saw anything with an engine larger than 4 litres (until all the modern german cars).

If I won the lottery I would have an mgb..:eek: ..it would be my "shootin car"...nothing more fun than lobbing cylinder heads via trebuchet at an mgb :cool:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
mike,
makes you wonder where all these cars went.i know they didn't go to street rods because most of them are glass or composite. you never see them at auctions. where are they?

I would venture to say most of the cars being displayed in the '60's were real tin. The fiberglass thing was just getting started and tin was still plentiful. I remember back about '58 or 9, a guy had a couple of nice (but unrestored) A's (coupes) setting on his lot for $250 each. Dad thought he was crazy. The things sold new for less than twice that 25 years previously. In about the same time frame, an uncle bought a serviceable but somewhat rough 32 coupe for $45.

Bill

A

alpine in calgary

If I won the lottery I would have an mgb..:eek: ..it would be my "shootin car"...nothing more fun than lobbing cylinder heads via trebuchet at an mgb :cool:

Oh Yeah....and too add the cylinder heads would be from MG midgets jus to add insult to injury :cool: ...Aaahhh the MG midget.....twas the last desperate death roll of the company.:cool:

A

AlpineIan

Sold the S3 this week... wasn't even on the market and it fetched a very nice price. Alpine prices are going up on good cars guys!

Hey guys... I have a real cream puff S3 GT that is painted BRG (Triumph Brooklands Green) with tan interior that I'm interested in selling. Based on the S2 auction I could get 10K for this car all day long. It's very straight and clean. Was a very solid body to start with too... It's got the wood dash, wood steering wheel and hard top. Engine is 1725cc with working OD and 3.89 rear end. Chrome wire wheels.

s3_gt_1.jpg

This is a French Export car. I still need to button up some interior and carpeting. Let me know if you are interested! :rolleyes:

s3_gt_3.jpg

Jim E

Donation Time
IMO the "Golden Age" for Alpines is right now, it is never going to get better than this. We are at the spot where age, income and want are as lined up as it is going to get.