• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 1 Seat Foam

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
SS use to have new foam for the front seats but they no longer have it for S1's. Does anyone know of a good source for foam that is pre-cut and fits well?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Early seat foam was never and is not available from any of the spares dealers. Only way is to bring your worn original to a good upholstery shop and ask them to cut you new ones out of a square foam block. Additional motivation will be if you let them do the entire seat refurbishment of course...

Last edited:

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm having the same problem now. I brought my old cushion to an auto upholstery shop, and they wanted nothing to do with it. Others have told me to get the later cushions and trim them to fit. That might be my way to go.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I fear using late cushions will make the seat center portion not looking right. The later seat is inclined towards the outsides whereas the early one is straight except a light step in the front. Perhaps still better to look out for a good (!) shop.

P.S. I still believe it can't be rocket science to have a few reproes made. I still have a pair of original foams which could serve as a pattern. If I find the time...

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Series I seat bottoms would be easier to cut out of a sheet of foam. Some DIY'ers use an electric carving knife, but I never had one work for me...especially on ALL foams. Sailrite has a economical foam cutter to sell that works beautifully. Sailrite also has a variety of foams.
Jan

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Wow, that's not very encouraging. I live on an island and upholstery options are few. Sounds like it's going to take some creative thinking. Thanks everyone.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have started with rear seat foams out of large American cars because of the bottom shape. I'm not a sculpture kinda guy but managed to get it close with an electric carving knife, ( the Queen was not happy about it either ). I have noticed early E type seats look similar, don't know if they are being made anywhere.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
most upholstery videos I've seen on youtube the shop uses a combination of dense and lighter foams for bucket seats.
denser foam as a base ( for support) and lighter foam for the bolsters and seat top.
Watch a few videos and give it a go.
How about a marine upholstery shop?
Bob

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Thanks Bob,
I'll check out some videos and give it some serious thought. I mean, how tough can it be? Foam's cheep and I've got time.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Perhaps I'm over thinking this. I thought the foam had some shape to it but perhaps the Series 1 were flat like the ones shown. If that's the case I can do that.
I guess I need to that the seats apart and dig deeper. Thanks Jan.