• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 1 Rebound Strap Fit

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I'm having a heck of a time finishing the installation of the rebound straps on my S1 Alpine. After some effort I have them installed. The problem I'm having is mating the rear end to the springs.

The rear end is all the way down against the strap.

I have the springs jacked up until it's starting to lift the car. There is still about a quarter to three eights inch gap between the springs and the rear end.

I've been torquing the bolts down but I'm almost to the 42 ft lbs torque for the nuts.

I got the straps from Sunbeam Specialties, my favorite go to place, many years ago. They are forRebound Strap.JPG a S1 or S2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
You overtightened the UBolt nuts. The bottom plate is already bending upwards. Furthermore the rebound strap should have 2 or even 3 layers...

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
And then some... Wow.....

I don't know why the plate looks bent but it's not. After I saw the picture I freaked out and went out and double checked and it's flat!

The strap is only one thick layer. Like I said, I bought it may years ago, perhaps 20 years ago.

Does anyone know how long the straps should be?

Thanks

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Did you reuse the original dowel pin or any alternative ? In any case there shouldn't be any whatsoever gap. Can't tell you the actual length of the rebound straps by heart, but they have to protect the lever arm shock absorber to bind when the rear axle is unloaded. Just go to the max safe extension without making the arm binding. Again a single layer may not be enough, but up to the strength of your strap material...

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
There's an alignment pin in the spring to align up with the axle. The pin isn't in the hole
Jan
Thanks Jumpin Jan, you nailed it! I think Don said the same thing but I didn't quite understand.

Now I've got a real problem. Since the hole didn't line up originally I screwed it up by all the heavy torquing I did. It's all mushroomed out! I either have to figure out a way to get in there to clean it out or drop the leaf spring to drill it out. Either way it's going to be a pain in the rear end, so to speak.

No joy in Sunbeamville yet!

Thanks again,

Ken

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take the ubolts off an you might be able to file the head of the pin back into the original diameter to fit the plate. Try that at least. It is difficult to fine the correct pins

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Take the ubolts off an you might be able to file the head of the pin back into the original diameter to fit the plate. Try that at least. It is difficult to fine the correct pins

Dan, The pin is not the problem it's the hole! It's all mushroomed out. Here's a couple of pictures:

Leaf Spring Pin.jpg

Rear End Spring Alignment Hole.jpg

I think I'll drop the leaf spring and try to drill it out without going through he rebound strap. Stay tuned!

Ken

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Update with bad news!

I drilled out the hole to clean it up and used a countersink on the edge just to give it a little help going on the pin.

Turns out that the pin is about 1/16 off center from the hole. The spring needs to go inward that 1/16" to fit. I hooked up a cable strap to use as a come-along to try and pull the springs a little closer together but they would not budge!

I rechecked the springs to make sure I had them on the right sides of the car and they were correct. I'm currently at wits end trying to get these stupid pins to line up. There was some concern that the pin might be bent but I can't see where it's bent at all, especially not a 1/16".

I was thinking about putting the rear end on the springs first and then trying to fit the springs into the shackles but considering that the pin is in the center of the spring I would think that it would steer one end of the spring much further than the 1/16" making it impossible to get into the shackle.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've now spent over two weeks trying to get the rear end installed. It should be a simple task.

HELP!!

Ken

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Remove the pins and verify them to be straight. Then make sure the "head" of the pin will actually fit into to the hole.

From the looks of the picture I believe I would ASCERTAIN the hole is clean and the pin head fits smoothly and does not bind.

I just finished installing a set of springs in my Red GT. While they were a bit difficult, it was done without any undue force. Just align carefully and patiently:)

Try assembly out from under the car where you can have plenty of room to work without the stress of having to lift or force anything.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
If it is off only 1/16th I would try opening the hole enough to fit the pin.
I'm a little reluctant to do that. I may be off a bit on the actual offset, it's hard to measure. It could be as much as an 8th!

I worry that later on that could possibly cause some sort of shifting around and cause other problems.

Still looking for other possible solutions.

Thanks,

Ken

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you put new bushes in the spring ends ?If so, I would try moving the spring end at the bush and see if that would move the spring inward a little.
It would take a big hit to torque the plate, but if the car was ever wrecked the plate may have been moved enough to make a difference. Not likely, but I suppose possible

Did you put new bushes in the spring ends? If so you may be able to move the spring at the bush to gain the distance you need.
p

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Did you put new bushes in the spring ends ?If so, I would try moving the spring end at the bush and see if that would move the spring inward a little.
It would take a big hit to torque the plate, but if the car was ever wrecked the plate may have been moved enough to make a difference. Not likely, but I suppose possible
Yes it did put in new bushings and will see if that helps. To the best of my knowledge the car has never been hit in the rear end.

Stay tuned,

Ken

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
As far as side to side, a 16th isn't going to cause any problems. Once you determine the pins fit, I would drop the fronts of the springs and bolt it together then lift the fronts and put the bolts in. Then attach the straps.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
As far as side to side, a 16th isn't going to cause any problems. Once you determine the pins fit, I would drop the fronts of the springs and bolt it together then lift the fronts and put the bolts in. Then attach the straps.

Winna, winna, Chicken Dinna! That worked! The only thing I did different was drop the back of the springs, it was just easier to get to.

Thanks Junkman for pointing me in that direction. I've been way to long futzing with the install of the rear end.

Thanks to all that contributed,

Ken