• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 1 clutch

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Good Morning fellow members, need some qualified information regarding my clutch replacement. Just finished re-doing the engine on my S1, and getting ready to do the clutch and mount the transmission. Question, will a 8 1/2" plate and disc fit onto a stock flywheel that had an 8" plate, and will it work smoothly and as It's supposed to? Would like to put the larger clutch in, (easier to find) but want no problems. I know my plate has 6 larger springs, and the 8 1/2" one has 9 slightly smaller springs. Need to know before purchasing parts. Thanks for any info, Dave

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
It has been a while when I rebuilt my S1. However 6 larger springs sounds correct for a S1. Thought the early engines have bigger clutches ( plate and cover )...

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think all 1600 engines had the 8" clutch disk & 9-spring pressure plate (with 3ea alignment dowel pins). The SI 1492 had the 8" disk & 6-spring clutch plate (with 2ea pins). I don't understand the comment of larger/smaller springs?
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
Late series 4's with a full syncro trans and 1592 engine had the 7 1/2" coarse spline clutch.

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info, I may have worded it wrong, was wondering if the S2 clutch would fit on the S1 flywheel, But you answered my question with the locating pin information. I'll just put a new 8" plate and disc in it. Again, thanks for the help, I know I'll have other questions. Dave