• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ser V Firmer front end

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I want to firm up the front end on my Ser V. I'm thinking Tiger springs and sway bar with KYB Gas Adjust shocks. I do not race the car but enjoy driving back country roads. Any suggestions would be appreciated and sourcing Tiger springs have proven difficult. Sway bar can be found from ADDCO I think. Anybody using this set up? Any reports or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks as always.

Hodee,

I sent a PM to you.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
View attachment 16555

Most of the WSM's contain a wealth of info on front springs.

free length - static laden length = compressed distance >> static laden loading / compressed distance = lbs./inch design load rating

S III >> 11.65 - 7.85 = 3.8 ............... 950/3.8 = 250 lbs./inch

S IV >> 12.62 - 7.55 = 5.07 ............ 1040/5.07 = 205.13 lbs./inch

HTH
Don

Trying to figure out the math here. When installed on the car and loaded, a series 3 spring will compress about 4 inches from its free length. It takes 950 lbs to get that 4 inch compression. 950 lbs of load on a single spring would be a car weighing about 3,800 lbs, which is double the Alpine weight. So are the spring rates given in terms of a pair of identical springs?

Thanks,
Mike

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Trying to figure out the math here. When installed on the car and loaded, a series 3 spring will compress about 4 inches from its free length. It takes 950 lbs to get that 4 inch compression. 950 lbs of load on a single spring would be a car weighing about 3,800 lbs, which is double the Alpine weight. So are the spring rates given in terms of a pair of identical springs?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

It has to do with the "motion ratio" of the Series Alpine front suspension. The bottom of the coil spring connects to the lower control arm at about 60% of the lower control arm length. That means that (a) the bottom of the spring only moves about 60% as much as the spindle / wheel and (b), the load on the spring is about 1.66 times the load on the suspension. With a motion ratio of 60% and a "weight" on the front corner of 550 lbs., the load on the spring is 913 lbs. Note that the motion ratio and the front corner weight are "about", so the load on the spring is also "about".

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike,

It has to do with the "motion ratio" of the Series Alpine front suspension. The bottom of the coil spring connects to the lower control arm at about 60% of the lower control arm length. That means that (a) the bottom of the spring only moves about 60% as much as the spindle / wheel and (b), the load on the spring is about 1.66 times the load on the suspension. With a motion ratio of 60% and a "weight" on the front corner of 550 lbs., the load on the spring is 913 lbs. Note that the motion ratio and the front corner weight are "about", so the load on the spring is also "about".

Nice explanation, Barry.

Just remember, the spring specs in the WSM don't have to be a reflection of actual installation - just an expected load at a given compression for testing the spring OFF the car. Information that was probably used by dealers who were involved with checking for and repairing damage on customer cars.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Currently my A arms, ball joints, tie rods are all new with rubber bushings for comfort. New sway bar I will use rubber as well. Ride height is ok but could stand to reduce front by 1/2 inch. I'm running 15 wheels and 205 tires so not much room to give. A few rubs on large dips. Just pushing on the front at a stand still there is way too much give. Shocks are from SS Monroe I think but too soft. Gonna try KYB gas adjust. Springs are my main question mark so maybe the Ser 3 from VB may work out. Comments?