• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Seats: is it possible to fit seats from any other Rootes Group vehicle

Finchy

Donation Time
I have a Series II alpine which I'm in the process of restoring. The seats are absolutely buggered. I've looked at the cost of re-upholstering them and fitting after market seats but both are very expensive in New Zealand. Does anyone know whether the seats of out other Rootes group cars will fit and, if so, what I should be looking for?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 75

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Finchy,

That is one seriously good looking Alpine.

The seats from a Series 3, IV or V will fit and are better sitting seats than the early seats.

Jose

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Miata (Mazda MX-5) seats are a good fit, and I think would look nice with your car. Some fiddling/welding may be necessary to get the seat slides in properly, but it's not an overwhelming task.

One of our visitors here has a set in his car - here's a picture he recently posted:

attachment.php

RootesRich

Donation Time
Are you looking to avoid fabricating adapters for the new seats? If so, your choices are very limited to what Jose posted.

If you have no issues with some fabrication, most LBC seats can be made to fit. I will caution you though, be sure to check seat height if you continue to run the stock steering wheel. You may find a clearance issue with your thighs and the wheel. Case in point the Mazda seats. I installed a set in my SV utilizing adapter plates as the Miata seat tracks are a bit wider and longer than the Alpine mounting points. I run a 14" MotoLita steering wheel and have no clearance issues. However I would if I still had the factory wheel. Look at the previously attached photo of Bill's car. Miata seats and a smaller aftermarket wheel.

agmason54

Donation Time
Seats etc...

Finchy!
Nice color. I once had a SI in almost same shade-Safety Green available in spray cans. Anywho... I have SIII seats in my SII and I believe the later SIII-V rails will bolt right in place of the SI-II rails. Your car looks like a SI to me with the early wide steering wheel and stubby chrome window guides... Regardless you can't beat a finned car!!!
Good job.

later
Agm

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
That looks like "green screen" color that they use in movies for special effects - probably could have some fun with that.

One of the nicest looking roll bar set-ups I have seen on an Alpine.

Mike

Finchy

Donation Time
Thanks for the feedback (about the colour and the seats!). I am trying to avoid high backed seats as I don't want to interfere with the lines so I may investigate later model Alpine seats.

I used the same green (in matt) on an early Kombi van I restored and it's become something of a signature colour for me. Not exactly subtle but it shows off the lines really nicely.

Can't wait to get it back on the road and show it off.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Finchy,
Note also that seats from later non-Alpine vehicles (which usually have higher backrests) will probably mean the tonneau cover will not fit (if you have one). Just something to consider.

I seem to recall an MG or Triumph where the headrests folded down to allow the tonneau cover to go on. Probably no help to you ;-)

I do like the speaker grilles in the Miata/MX-5 seats in the pic though.

Regards,
Paul.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I seem to recall an MG or Triumph where the headrests folded down to allow the tonneau cover to go on.

It was a '69 TR6 and they were nice seats. I got a set of them in a junk yard in the early 80's (I think I paid $25) and they fit in the Alpine pretty easily, using the same kind of mounting system (two bolts in the front, allowing them to tilt forward). I really liked being able to fold the headrests down and use the tonneau and felt like the seats were a little safer and more supportive, but there was something about the fit that I didn't like and I removed them after about a year. The were larger than the stock seats, but that wasn't the problem. I think it was that they were wobbly in the car because of the way the brackets lined up and I didn't have the skills or the tools at the time to do a better job. Unfortunately, they got left behind in an apartment move a few years later and were gone when I went back to get them.

I do see them from time to time on eBay, but every set I have seen was totally shot. This recent one is pretty typical, but it shows the headrest: http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-Triumph-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6ee6e4ef