• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Seatbelts with Miata MX5 seats

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I purchased a nice pair of 1999 Miata MX5 seats and will be installing them soon.
These seats have the integrated seat belt receiver.
What have others done for seat belts with these seats?

Attachments

• 20230901_130738.jpg
    20230901_130738.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230902_143416_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_143416_Gallery.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 17

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
What kind of seat belt setup do you have in mind? The "integrated seat belt receiver" in the Miata seats is intended to accept the "tongue latch" in a retractable three-point seat belt setup. Three-point seat belts are vastly more effective than a two-point lap belt, but unless you have a roll bar (and maybe not then), there is no suitable place in a Series Alpine to put the top mount of a a three-point seat belt setup.

You can probably cobble up a two-point lap belt that can use the integrated seat belt receiver, but the Mazda receiver may only work with the matching Mazda tongue latch.

https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?search/25234/&q=seat+belt&o=date

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Another potential problem - some integrated systems do not provide for a chassis mounted belt receiver and the Alpine 1/4" seat mounting bolts are inadequate for the task of restraining you. I gave up and installed the next gen Miata seats which incorporate seat belt supports in the seat back. They work just fine, but are a headache to install.
Bill

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
What kind of seat belt setup do you have in mind? The "integrated seat belt receiver" in the Miata seats is intended to accept the "tongue latch" in a retractable three-point seat belt setup. Three-point seat belts are vastly more effective than a two-point lap belt, but unless you have a roll bar (and maybe not then), there is no suitable place in a Series Alpine to put the top mount of a a three-point seat belt setup.

You can probably cobble up a two-point lap belt that can use the integrated seat belt receiver, but the Mazda receiver may only work with the matching Mazda tongue latch.

https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?search/25234/&q=seat+belt&o=date
I'm open to ideas. Currently I have the lap belts and if need be I'd be ok keeping them.
As Bill Blue mentioned, the next gen of Miata seats have the three point integrated, which I didn't know. But I picked the gen 1 seats because, from reading posts, they are easier to install.
I have some basic power tools, but no welders, a bending brake, or other tools like that.