• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

seat belts

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
My car has seat belts that connect to a rod in the seat frame, via an overlapping hook connector. They appear to be as old as the car. I have removed to carpets and tarpaper and there are two holes on each side in the back floors that look like they are for seat belt mounting. Actually, one of the holes had the reminant of the seatbelt anchor, firmly attached with a rounded off 5/8 head in bolt (Another of those things that turns an easy job to a PITA)

Using the floor holes to mount new belts looks much stonger than those attached under the seats.

Which is correct for the SIV?

Thanks, my friends

Sam

Sam

65beam

Donation Time
one thing about attaching the belts to the seats is that when you hit and you go forward thru the windshield ,you stay in the seat. the threaded holes in the floor are for attaching the belts. my series 4 had plastic threaded plugs in the holes originally since it came without belts. seat belts were not required when these cars were new but they did provide fastening points.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Forget lap belts.. you have a 3rd point on each side in the rear so you can have a lap sash.. in the rear wheels arches that face the body there are strenghtened mounts for a belt.

For the period look JC Whitney has somce nice chrome aircraft style belts.. about $50 a pair IIRC

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
For the period look JC Whitney has some nice chrome aircraft style belts.. about $50 a pair IIRC

Actually, only $35.99. I have the original Kangol's, but this is quite a nice find for those who need them. Every Sunbeam should have belts, even if they are not OEM, and these are a very period-correct style - decent color selection, too.

3-PT NON-RETRACTABLE LAP/SHOULDER SAFETY BELT:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/3-pt-non-retractable-lap/shoulder-safety-belt/p2006840.jcwx#

G_16840G_CL_1.jpg

agmason

Donation Time
"Forget lap belts.. you have a 3rd point on each side in the rear so you can have a lap sash.. in the rear wheels arches that face the body there are strenghtened mounts for a belt."

Those mounts rust in most cars I've seen including mine. Rootes put a plastic plug in the threaded hole but it didn't stop the water from coming in from the wheel well. I used the hole and put the seat belt reinforced plate in the wheel well with the bolt inserted through the plate.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Actually, only $35.99. I have the original Kangol's, but this is quite a nice find for those who need them. Every Sunbeam should have belts, even if they are not OEM, and these are a very period-correct style - decent color selection, too.

3-PT NON-RETRACTABLE LAP/SHOULDER SAFETY BELT:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/3-pt-non-retractable-lap/shoulder-safety-belt/p2006840.jcwx#

G_16840G_CL_1.jpg

When i bought them for my alpine back in 2004 i think they were around 50.. even better value now.. and for those interested, they are a nice item and i am still happy with mine.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Sam, here is a link to seat belts that came in my Alpine. This was a factory ordered car. The bolt was screwed into the floor using the four sided bolt head then the seat belt was attached using a screw that secured the u shaped bracket thru the four sided bolt. This prevented any binding because it allowed side to side movement. There is also a shot of the later type hold down bolt, Series V and B382 model Tigers, that was used for regular and three point belts. It seems that there was no standard way of securing the belts to the floor on the Series IV cars. Click on the pic to get to more pics in my album. Jeff

AlpineII

Donation Time
There were no mounting holes in either of my Series II's when I put in seatbelts. My Series 3 has bolt holes for lap-belts but could not see any re-enforcing points in the wheel well area for the shoulder strap. I'll take a better look this weekend. Re-enforcing all the locations with 1/8" plate with the nuts spot welded to them to ease some of the work.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Yeah, I've had the entire back upholstery out and didn't notice any reinforcement areas, on the wheel well...(SV). Do you have a pic of where they are located? I'd rather have 3 point belts. The old 2 point attachments areas had the more modern type of hold down buckle. The generic lap belts I put in used the same bolt and thread.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
This thread:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=36651&postcount=1

discusses the location of the rear mounting holes on a '67. Although the thread says there are pictures in the posts, I didn't see them on the search. Don't know why.

If you look in the rear wheel well, from the outside, you can see the nut that the bolt goes into. I had to chase the threads with a tap to install the bolts, but that did the trick.

If the pics don't show up for you, I'll run out and take some measurements and photos.

Ken

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Ken, what comes up on that link is a single post asking about a good method to make a sitting platform on the folded top cover...kinda. W/nothing to indicate the thread.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
This thread:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=36651&postcount=1

discusses the location of the rear mounting holes on a '67. Although the thread says there are pictures in the posts, I didn't see them on the search. Don't know why.

If you look in the rear wheel well, from the outside, you can see the nut that the bolt goes into. I had to chase the threads with a tap to install the bolts, but that did the trick.

If the pics don't show up for you, I'll run out and take some measurements and photos.

Ken

If it was my picture it may be gone. I uploaded another one where you can see the original bracket mounted, just behind the passenger seat.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Any picture loaded directly to the forum will eventually be deleted over a certain time. If you post a picture link from a photo album site (photobucket or webshots) to a thread, the picture will never disappear. Jeff

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the picture. I have to remove the back padding again, to attach the top cover, anyway. I'll have a look behind the vinyl and padding, when I do.

sharong

Donation Time
I’ve got the interior out of my car right now. The small hole in the middle of the wheel well hump is here the shoulder anchor spot is, on a series IV anyways.

Sharong

Attachments

• IMG_6914_thumb.jpg
    IMG_6914_thumb.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 82

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I've never regretted the retrofit I did years ago to put Saab 99 seat belts in my Series V. I wanted the shoulder mount as opposed to the lap only and one thing I always admired about the Saab belts was no metal clip on the belt. When you take them off you don't have to worry about the metal bit hitting anything, there isn't anything, just belt. It fit as previously pointed out by others, although at the time I had to figure the mounting myself.

saab99seatbelttypeused.jpg

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I’ve got the interior out of my car right now. The small hole in the middle of the wheel well hump is here the shoulder anchor spot is, on a series IV anyways.

Sharong

Nice photo of location for 3-Point seat belts. Could this be drilled out for a Series II car? Also, do you have a photo of the seat belts after they were mounted? Would be nice to see how they are set up.