• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

seat belt mountings

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm fitting some 3-point seatbelts to my early Series 2. I bought a new pair from SS.
Its the rear/shoulder strap mounting that I need advice on, before I drill holes...
I understand that some Alpines had a mounting point factory installed (captive nut?), but mine doesn't seem to.

Can anyone describe/photograph the rear mount, or comment on the best location (does it interfere with the soft top metal covers?)
cheers
Dave

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dave, on the later cars the shoulder strap anchor point is a reinforced spot on the inner fender well. It is located 9 3/4" up from the floor of the rear shelf and 10" back from the door opening. I think it will interfere.

Good Luck
Bill

Wombat

Donation Time
Dave,

Will take some photos tomorrow and will try to post. May not be able to post before the weekend though.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Dave,
I installed Securon three point centrifugal belts on my Series II just a few weeks ago. The re-wind mechanism I placed on the door pillar and it is actually mounted through the triangular side panelling. I actually have photo`s I am looking at right now but dont knòw how to post here. They cllear all the soft top covers the one tricky thing about mounting them like this is how to get at the bolt head behind the panel to tighten it??? I actually welded the bolt head to the 1/8" re-enforcing plate, put some caulking on the plaet and slid it into place. Because I was using a re-enforcing plate about 3" x 5" it could not turn in the cavity and so I can tighten or loosen without issues.

If you send me your E-Mail address I can send you a couple of photo`s.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
3 pt. seat belts

Hey Eddie:
Can you forward the photos to me?
I would love to see what you have done.
Regards,
Andrew

AlpineII

Donation Time
Andrew,
Just sent off two photos to you of the Securon re-wind mechanism in place on my Series II. I have a few other photos if they don`t show what you want.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd love to see the photos, too. I can be reached at european230sl*at*yahoo.com.

Thanks.

Wombat

Donation Time
Dave

First photo shows the top seatbelt mounting in my Series IV, the second shows the reinforcing plate and nut under the wheelarch. The plate is about 2" squate and is welded to the wheelarch. the nut is welded to the reinforcement plate - same deal as the lower mountings.

When I bought the car, it didn't have seatbelts, but in the top mounting hole, it have what looked like the original special bolts. The heads were larger than the normal seatbelt bolts (about 1" across the flats) and the heads were thinner and slightly domed. They had a shoulder under the head that fitted inside the lug on the end of the seatbelt. The upshot of this is that the whole mounting was a lower profile than the generic belts I fitted, so there was clearance to the soft top cover to fold down. However I broke one of them while removing it :eek: . With the mounting bolts supplied with the seatbelts the soft top cover would not fold down. missed by about 3mm either side. I know the SII cover is different to the SIV but clearance may still be a problem. What bolts does SS supply for the mountings?

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Robin, thats just what I needed to see.
The SS belts came with a 'normal' bolt, with a spacer tube, which I presume is to allow the mount itself to sit proud of the body so that the belt can adjust.
It looks like the S2 cover will just clear the mounts, even with 'normal' bolts, and probably with the spacer tubes and plastic covers. The S2 cover may be a slightly different shape along the sides, or it could be that the hinges have slightly different pivot points (the hinges look different in the parts list drawings that I have). The cover that I have is not the original , but I think it is still a S1/S2 version, and it fits (although I had to cut some small metal brackets/supports out of the corners to get it to sit in place properly, so they must vary a bit). Previous Owner (since 1980) never had one fitted but purchased this one a few years ago.

cheers
Dave

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If you really want safety, they should be mounted higher then your shoulder. I built a roll bar with mounts for seatbelts when I added 3-point seatbelts to my ser II. I am using Subaru Brat seatbelts in mine.
170545596-M.jpg

170545593-M.jpg

108291628-M.jpg

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
All,
I have just begun to install the three point seat belts made by Beams Industries in Oklahoma and purchased from SS. The forum Search function found this thread on installing three point belts and I have read it a couple of times. My 1965 Series IV Alpine has lap belts, and I plan to use the holes in the floor for the floor mounted connections of the Beams belts. Though this thread does have lots of good information, I do have a couple of questions as follows:

Bill Blue - On my Series IV, the reinforcing plates are exactly where you stated they would be- thank you. There appears to be a Phillips head screw head on the wheel side and it is screwed into the nut that is welded to the plate .The undercoating makes it a bit fuzzy and will have to be scraped off before removing the screw.
I can feel the tip of the screw when pressing hard on the interior naugahyde at the point your measurements indicated, so I presume the thing to do is remove the screw, cut a hole in the naugahyde for the screw to fit into the nut, and use the screw to fasten on the upper (non-floor mounted) end of the 3 point belt.
Please comment when you have time.

Wombat - As I read your post, you broke the factory belt retainer screw/bolt when removing it from the nut on the retainer plate and I wish to avoid doing that. Considering the age of the car, possibly some WD40 sprayed on the interior and wheel well parts of the screw will help. Do you have any other suggestions?

Toyanvil - beautiful interior and belt and roll bar job. Just what my son wants me to do, but I got along for years with factory three points on my 1963 Alpine and so I will go with that first (there are several other things I need to get done before worrying about a roll bar).

Alpine II - thanks for the information on the Securon belts - I found their web site and bookmarked it for later reference.

Dave - thanks for starting this thread as it was just what I needed to read before installing my 3 point belts.

65beam

Donation Time
mountings

if the screw on the wheel well is original,you will probably find it to be a plastic or nylon bolt. you can't reuse it. it's only there to plug the hole. at least that's the way several of my cars were set up.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
crs, 65beam is right. I don't recall anything being in the hole, other than a plastic plug. BUT, whatever is in there can be removed and tossed. The hole is threaded 7/16"-20, which is used in most seat belt systems.

Bill

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks gents for the quick response. Looks like a little project for the weekend.
I will start tomorrow morning with a liberal shot of WD40 on the threads of the bolts holding the mounts for the current lap belts and let it work for a while.

65beam

Donation Time
mountings

you need to use a short bolt on the console side on the driver side. it can not protrude thru the threads or it will hit the muffler. I have stainless exhaust on three of our cars and have found this on all of them.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dave - thanks for starting this thread as it was just what I needed to read before installing my 3 point belts.

Gosh, was it really almost 6 years ago!

Hope it goes well crs! This forum is a fabulous source of information (and inspiration!)

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Andrew,
Just sent off two photos to you of the Securon re-wind mechanism in place on my Series II. I have a few other photos if they don`t show what you want.

I have a Series II that needs seat belts also. I am thinking of installing them this winter. Could you share your photos with me? mike37@hughes.net

Thanks.

Asm109

Donation Time
Guys that post was from 2007 and the poster has not been on this site since 2012. Don't wait for a response.