• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SCCA Solo II G Prepared

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Interesting. I hadn't heard before of Sessler tieing for the championship in '63. I thought he tied for the G class championship in a Series I in 1960. Was he that close to being a three-time champ in an Alpine?

I've seen very few photos of Series V's being raced anywhere. Regardless of factory support, I'd of thought there would be a significant number of private entries. Did the competition make such great strides around 1965-66 that even a 1725 was no match?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I will have to investigate 1960 now that you mention it.... Don did do fairly well even though it was a "test" year. I don't think he was convinced the Alpine would do well. He scored 3 wins and a 2nd that I have documented.
Of course, Vince Tamburo had 4 wins and numerous 2nds (according to Vince he also won at Marlboro (or it may have been Bridgehampton) making it 5 wins in 1960 - but that must have been due to a technicallity. I never got the details on that... anyway, they only count the top 5 finishes.

Back to Don's record:
1961 - 3rd in the National Championship
1962 - 2nd in the National Championship (I think this was where he lost at the end of the season due to a radiator cap)
1963 - Tied with Lake Underwood (technically Lake had better finishes)
1964 - Won the national championship
1965 - Drove the Tiger but I think won his Division

Steve