• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S3 top covers

oldflotsam

Donation Time
I will be fitting (correctly, this time, I hope) a new convertible top on my S3 this winter. It currently has a vinyl cover, which apparently was made to cover the incorrectly installed top while in the down position. My question is, can I use metal covers, or will I need a new vinyl cover like the SV's use? I've looked at Steve Kirk's '66, so I know my current installation is wrong. Any help? Also, recommendations on top supplier are welcomed.

Wayne

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Can the metal covers be used on a Series V? I think that would present a cleaner look than the vinyl cover.

mikephillips

Donation Time
They can be retrofitted. However you'd need to modify the body by removing the partition that forms the front of the stowage bin. And then you'd need to fabricate the mounts and the close lock tabs on the rear wheel wells.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
With my Series 3 ST there are days I love those panels covering the soft top mechanism and days I loathe them. You can't keep them from rubbing up against each other, which means the edges always have chips, and you have to be careful in folding the frame just right or it can be tough to close all three properly.

Most of the time I envy the Series V guys because snapping a vinyl cover over the contraption is so much easier. On the other hand, the painted panels look much cleaner than the vinyl "bag".

What price vanity? You have to choose if it will be form over function or function over form. I agree with Mike - unless you are starting with a stripped tub and can easily make the modifications, stick to the original arangement.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are the metal covers different for different series?

Wayne

Yes, the SI/II covers are different from each other... and have a different profile to fit the body and depth for the top.. they will not work on a S3.

Now.. i might be wrong here.. but i think there is a subtle different in the S3/IV covers... i only say this because we installed S3 covers in my fathers SIVGT and the profile does not fir as well as you might expect.. could be wrong.. but i think as the cars have slightly different wing profiles at the back.. the panels may be different slightly?

Either way.. the S3/IV ones and MKI tiger for that matter will work for you.. but see if you can get a S3 set. There were some ide covers on ebay from sunbeamjohn (username) last night i think.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Now.. i might be wrong here.. but i think there is a subtle different in the S3/IV covers... i only say this because we installed S3 covers in my fathers SIVGT and the profile does not fir as well as you might expect.. could be wrong.. but i think as the cars have slightly different wing profiles at the back.. the panels may be different slightly?

Maybe they have been tweaked by a previous owner? I've seen many bent or dented because someone didn't fold the top down just right, so they attempted to use the panel to push the mechanism further down, thus bending the panel.

I checked the parts list and it's the same part # for Series 3 and IV.