• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S3 fuel shut-off valve

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I am sure there are few of these out there but would anyone have a S3 banjo fuel shut off valve that they would part with?

Thanks,
Andrew

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Almost in the category of "Hen's Teeth" my friend, but there are still a few out there to be found. They're nice when they work, but over time people seemed to ditch them when they swapped fuel pumps.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew-do you still have your old one and it leaks? They are repairable by replacing the corks inside which you can source from a BSA Victor motorcycle parts supplier. Eric

Andrew

Donation Time
Almost in the category of "Hen's Teeth" my friend, but there are still a few out there to be found. They're nice when they work, but over time people seemed to ditch them when they swapped fuel pumps.

Yes, I thought it might be a tall order. If someone has ditched one and still had it in a box stashed way, please contact me.

Regards,
Andrew

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can somebody post a picture of one of these?

I've never seen one of the Sunbeam ones, but years ago I picked up several NOS fuel shut-offs in the UK which now lay buried under piles of NOS and used parts in my workshop's storehouse. I'm curious if they are similar.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Can somebody post a picture of one of these?

Is this it?

1001219n.jpg

1001220s.jpg

If it is, I am afraid I won't want to sell it (unless I find another among my boxes of parts), but would like to know more about it. I had been meaning to post this anyway; it is one of the bits on my S3 GT engine that I hadn't seen before on any other engine.

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Yes that is it Jim, my banjo/sut-off is all messed up. Are you sure you don't want to sell it? I have installed a direct fitting on my S3 but I would love to try and keep the engine bay original. If anyone has one that they would part with, it would be great.

I did a rebuild on the fuel pump from some of the parts I had on hand but I don't think I am getting the correct fuel pressure up to the carbs.

Fuel, fuel, fuel, from the fitting to the pump, what next?

Thanks for posting the picture Jim, I would not want to post a picture of my fitting now that it looks as if it has been through a grinder.

Regards,
Andrew

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry Andrew. I want to keep it for my S3, but I will look around the extra parts that came with the S3 and let you know if there is another one laying around.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Given that I won't share mine, I almost hate to ask, but how does this work? It has a terminal for an electrical connection. Does it only allow the fuel to flow when the ignition is on?

Andrew

Donation Time
Given that I won't share mine, I almost hate to ask, but how does this work? It has a terminal for an electrical connection. Does it only allow the fuel to flow when the ignition is on?

Oh, Jim:

Now that you point it out your fitting looks like it is missing all kinds of parts, you should sell it to me as I have the parts that are needed......:eek:

Just kidding!:D

The screw is there to hold the top from being pulled right out. It also holds the small tension clamp that is used to hold pressure on the top part of the valve so that it will stay up. Push down on the top and it shuts off, pull it up and it allows the fuel to flow. The screw or "terminal" seates into a small slot that is milled into the inner shaft, it is used as a stop.

Please do not hook up a 12V wire to the......"terminal" or screw :D There could be fireworks.

Just having a little fun with you.

Andrew