• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S1 Door alignment

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi guys, wonder if anyone could help me. Started putting the doors on my S1, original doors and no modifications to the A or B pillars. Hinges aligned decently. My problem is when the door is closed and latched, there is a about 1/8" gap between the door and the body. The strike is moved in as far as it will go, but still not enough for the door to line up. The only thing different is the dovetail has been replaced. Are there different dovetails for different years? Before removing everything for the restoration, the door closed correctly. Is there some way the strike can be moved farther in? Any help appreciated, Dave.

Attachments

• 20230216_082030.jpg
    20230216_082030.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230216_082042.jpg
    20230216_082042.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230216_082057.jpg
    20230216_082057.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 22

alpine_64

Donation Time
All the dovetails are the same as are the B pillar receiver.. it will be in the adjustment on if it's changed since swapping.
I do note some quite serious patching in your B post door jamb

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, that work was from the replacement of the quarter panels and rockers. Car was on a rotisserie and braced well before cutting and replacing. I guess I'll have to find a way to move the strike in further. The door closes well and is aligned correctly. Everything went together smoothly.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is the problem that the strike is moved so far in that the latch is only catching on one point? Perhaps adjusting outward will allow the door to catch on both

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, that was it. I didn't realize it could go to the second latch. (Been working on it for 4 years, easy to forget) adjusted it, and it latches great and lines up well. THANKS so much. Picture from 4 years ago and now.IMG_4866.JPG20230206_121306 (1).jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I started responding to your Question earlier today, but, called away.

When I just returned I found you had your answer. That is Great!

I also believe now is a good time to alert others of a simple method I learned the hard way when resetting the doors after a restoration or repairs.

Not necessary in your case specifically but, pre-drill at least two (2) 1/8" holes in the face of each hinge (the door post and the doors themselves BEFORE removing them for any reason.

This will allow a "pilot" in the hinges to the "A" post and the doors which eliminates the hassle of alignment. An idea someone gave me years ago.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
When you hang the doors back on the car, leave off all the weather stripping. Most of the w/s isn't correct and puts too much compression on closing the door.
Jan