• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Running Gear Woes

Crash Bang Alpine

Donation Time
I have the series ll with the full Jose kit and performance parts. It sounds mean enough alright but I can't drive it because I'm getting binding(i think) between the throwout bearing (sleeve ?) and the clutch plate center nipple. I think I have the t-5 from the 90's mustang v-6. The mustang ll bellhousing fits. I see scaring on what I call the clutch plate nipple and I even ground it down somewhat. It seemed to help some but it is still grinding againest the end of that release bearing collar. I assume that is also the reason I can't get the clutch plate to release. If your going to drive this car, you better make sure the garage doors are open on both ends. My question is; did I miss something that needs to be shortened? I talked to Jim Moyer and he thought that my overall input shaft at 7.5 inches is .75 inches too long . Please help me, and bear in mind when you answer that I'm not too gifted.Thanks a million

Jim E

Donation Time
If I recall, you are running the V8 T5 pilot bearing adaptor. Which will not work with a V6 T5. Actually I am surprised the engine trans will bolt together with it in place and not break an ear off the bellhousing. Correct me if you do not have the alloy spacer with the pilot bearing in it that bolts to the back side of the flywheel.

The V6 T5 has the same lenght input shaft as the stock MII trans but the spud that slids into the pilot bearing is a larger diameter, so you need to remove the input shaft from the trans and have the spud turned down to fit a stock MII V6 pilot bearing. Remove the V8 T5 pilot bearing adaptor install a stock MII pilot bearing and bolt it all up. You also have to turn the OD of the input shaft bearing retainer collar down to fit in the MII bellhousing. This is all provided you have a V6 T5. Now if it is the common 2.3 4 banger T5 it is a whole different story and of coures the V8 T5 requires the alloy pilot bearing adaptor.

We have to be very careful buying T5s there are at least 3 Ford versions and the only way to tell what is what with out measuring things is the ID tag and a list of T5s to decode the same. The problem is many have been apart and the tag is gone, the other thing is when buying from "someone" as in private party they may say or do anything to off load a trans. Not to tar every T5 seller but many of us have been burned on used T5s.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

Does the V6 or the 4 Cylinder pilot bearing get used with the V6 T5. I thought I read a post from Jose that said to use the 4 cylinder pilot bearing.

Mike

Jim E

Donation Time
When using the 3.8 V6 T5 the stock 2.8 V6 pilot bearing is used and it is installed in the stock position. But in order to use the 3.8 V6 transmission the input shaft has to be removed and the end that slides into the pilot bearing has to be reduced in diameter to fit the stock 2.8 pilot bearing. The 2.8 pilot bearing has an ID of .605 not sure what the exact od of the stock MII trans input shaft spud is but a machinest should be able to figure out what would be a good number for this. I will do some searching and see if the figure is out there some where.

The MII I4 and V6 both carry the same pilot bearing but try to stick to the V6 references to avoid confusion.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. I've found information that shows that the input shaft diameter in 2.3 transmisson applications is .59 inches. Also the same part number for the pilot bushing is listed for 74-78 MII as listed for 79 and later Mustangs with the 2.3 and is the same part used in the 2.8.

Mike

ps, here's the info I used
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

Crash Bang Alpine

Donation Time
More about the running gear woes

Gentlemen: Just an update on my running gear woes. After pulling the engine again and doing some more investigation we find that my transmission is indeed from a 3.8 mustang because it came with a bellhousing attached with 3.8 stamped in large letters on the top of the bellhousing. In my particular case, using the 77 mustang bellhousing and 2.8 from a 83 Bronco ll the input shaft fits the input shaft bearing (from the kit) that mounts on the back of the flywheel quite nicely . However if your overhauled 2.8 comes with a input shaft bearing installed, your input shaft will bind because you now have 2 input shaft bearings. So in my case we pulled the bearing out of the end of the crankshaft, took several thousands off the width of the kit input shaft bearing and mounted it on the back of the flywheel. Then we took the input shaft out of the transmission (4 bolts and don't lose the shims) and cut about .750 of an inch off the length of thethrowout bearing retainer. Thats the collar that the throwout bearing rides on.I think this is going to cure my binding problem. Apparently the t-5 uses several different lengths of input shafts. Hopefully this willsolve my problem. If you have any questions on this particular problem, you can call me evenings at 218 334-5893. Best Regards ..

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
As I understand it:

If your transmission came from a 3.8 Mustang then you wouldn't have needed the pilot adapter that was part of the original kits as the T5 used on the 3.8 had a longer input shaft the would reach the original pilot in the end of the crank. The early Mustang T5's had input shaft lengths of 7.18 for the 5.0 and 7.41 for the 2.3. The 3.8 T5 input shaft is 7.85".

Is this the case, Jose?

Jim E

Donation Time
Yes and the 3.8 version input shaft length is the same as the original 4 speed trans that the MII came with.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

You are correct. The T5 from behind the 3.8 V6, doesn't need the pilot bearing adapter, but in stead, the pilot bearing spud on the input shaft, needs to be ground down to the 2.8 V6 size, which is identical to the one used on the 2.3 I-4.

Jose