• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rotissery

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Anyone got ideas on the best mounting points for Alpines on a rotisserie? I am building one to hold the body without hood, trunk or doors. I know...bonnet, boot, etc! It will be taken down to bare metal including undercarriage. Suspension/rearend will also be stripped and painted after rebuild. Because it will be a driver, I may undercoat the floor pan rather than paint-to-match. Painting looks cool until one takes the first long trip. The same goes for the firewall, but it will probably be painted. Pictures will be helpful so I can steal ideas.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The best place for mounting points are the front suspension bolt holes in the frame rails & rear shock, top mounting holes.
In this way one can start working on the front or rear valances and so on and the body has the least amount of stresses in it.
I never use the tire jacking holes in the front & rear.
Jan

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I've always used the bumper mounting but, Jan has a better idea for working on the front and rear valances.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I haven't seen an original Alpine or Tiger (to restore) that hasn't crunched the front valance.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
Concrete tire stops in parking lots, curbs,etc and in the early years tow trucks used a sling instead of a wheel lift.

65beam

Donation Time
I've always used the bumper mounting but, Jan has a better idea for working on the front and rear valances.
How about this rack holding my series 4.107_0172.JPG

Attachments

• 107_0171.JPG
    107_0171.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 107_0173.JPG
    107_0173.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 47

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's what I made many years ago..... used for tow bar and the rotiss....

Attachments

• DSC02766 (300x225).jpg
    DSC02766 (300x225).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02767 (300x225).jpg
    DSC02767 (300x225).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02768 (300x225).jpg
    DSC02768 (300x225).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02769 (300x225).jpg
    DSC02769 (300x225).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02770 (300x225).jpg
    DSC02770 (300x225).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02771 (300x225).jpg
    DSC02771 (300x225).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 54

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
But of course the mount bracket in your Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger need to be in good solid condition....to use the bumper/jack holes.

Mine have been strong enough to allow for me having the front and rear suspension components and the mock up engine and tranny for my V6 projects.

65beam

Donation Time
The rack in my photo was built specifically for Tigers and Alpines. It belongs to Doug @ Tiger Auto Service.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It would be a good idea to put in bracing in place of the doors when mounting a convertible on a rotisserie. If there is any weakness in the body it could bend.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
It would be a good idea to put in bracing in place of the doors when mounting a convertible on a rotisserie. If there is any weakness in the body it could bend.
MikeH, YES, it will be braced! A good friend raced a 1940 Studebaker coupe with a very radical inline SIX. At the track the announcer refused to mention the name written on the side of the car...ELONGATED HOLE...assuming it was something not nice. Actually they removed the doors and all metal that could be removed to build the car, thinking it being a coupe it was safe to lift. WRONG! After welding many braces and patches (it was a very nice show-car racer), every mounting hole had to be elongated to make it fit back on the frame. So my Beam will have bracing to keep it in place while being rotated. Thanks for the reminder.