• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rotisserie plans?

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Rotisserie

I built that!
Yes, the wheels, although expensive, were not the best choice. Glad to see it's being used.

Paul

Here are some pictures of my Rotisserie, someone else on the board built it specifically for Sunbeams and I bought it from them when they were done with it. The one thing I would change is to use casters with rubber tires to make it easier to move around outside and in and out of the shop.

Paul I was just going to say,,,HEY wasn't that yours?
Chuck

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, I think the consensus is to mount the Alpine by the jacking sockets and use the bumper mounting points to bolt the rotisserie to the car.. That is how I did mine. I also used 4" rubber swivel casters, which worked out well.

If the rotisserie is built like the one in the photos, no need for the connecting pole. Mine was built along that style out of wood and did just fine. I am not promoting a wooden rotisserie, just mentioning this to show the design does not need strengthening.

Bill

JConstable

Donation Time
All,
I am encouraged that the engine stand rotisserie was not a lead balloon. As I have limited welding and cutting capabilities I'm cautiously optimistic I can modify existing engine stand rolling assemblies and pivot points. Of course the technique to raise the body to a sufficient height to permit rotation remains elusive. My guess is that I need to get the pivot point at least 35" off the ground so I'm thinking of ....... a forklift:). In reality I'm thinking of a hoist of some kind, so how much does a basically stripped alpine unibody weigh? Its small, so I'm thinking lighter; but its built in the day when steel was thicker, so I'm thinking heavier. Any clues out there?

John

Tullamore

Donation Time
The Alpine/Tigers were overbuilt and with that big sturdy x-frame they weigh a lot, I don't know how much but you will not be seeing two guys lifting up the body like you can with a Sprite.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My experience. In order to get the pivot point high enough off the ground, I placed the rotating point even with the jack sockets. Not a good idea. The car wanted to turn turtle, was hard to rotate and needed a prop to hold it in place. I could rotate it myself, but was a very awkward operation and a whole lot easier if someone helped.

I mounted the body to the rotisserie by jacking the body WAY up and mounting the rotisserie. When I got the rotisserie mounted, it was slightly off the floor. Then lowered the car onto the rotisserie. Had to raise the body in stages, resting it on 4 X 4 cribbing. Time consuming and scary procedure when doing it by yourself.

I'd always stop between operations, step back and look at what I was doing, plan the the next step, always trying to make sure I was not going to kill myself.

Looks like it paid off.
Bill