• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes Extinguishers

Limey

Donation Time
65beam got me thinking.

Were there 2 or 3 extinguisher sizes available?
I see 8oz single jet and 16oz twin jet Anyone got one of these or can post a picture?

And what oz. weight corresponds to the extinguisher size

I have one which is Approx 8.5 inches long by 1.75 inches wide. 8oz?

I also have a smaller extinguisher of the same design by the same manufacturer (Bradville) but for an Aston Martin Lagonda. It is approx 5 inches long but the same diameter. How many ounces would that be?

All advice gratefully received

Olly

alpine_64

Donation Time
Olly,

I htink i have some pics of the bradex ROOTES extinguishers.. will try and dig them up for you.

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks for that.

I don't have the brackets that came with them. If you have pics of those and maybe know where I can get some that would be great.

Cheers

Olly

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for that.

I don't have the brackets that came with them. If you have pics of those and maybe know where I can get some that would be great.

Cheers

Olly

I have some pics of a MKI Tiger that had the extinguisher in it from new.. they might be as close as i can get to the brackets.. otherwise i would suggest looking at photos of works healeys and minis.. they used the bradex units and i would assume the brackets are generic.

Will try and get the pics to you on monday.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Be careful buying Rootes (or BMC etc) Bradex labeled extinguishers now. The labels are being reproduced and can be placed on any extinguisher and make it an instant collectible.....

alpine_64

Donation Time
Be careful buying Rootes (or BMC etc) Bradex labeled extinguishers now. The labels are being reproduced and can be placed on any extinguisher and make it an instant collectible.....

Eric,

Are these being don in the UK.. i think i saw some BMC ones a while back.. they are doing rootes now as well?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
The retaining clips for the extinguisher very much resemble the clips used to hold the factory jack in the boot.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting. Did the large and i presume 16oz one come from an alpine of the '60s or an earlier car?

Thanks for the pics

Olly

Olly,

not sure.. and im bad.. i forgot to post the pic of the one in the tiger.. will do it tomorrow!
had what loked like the clips eric described.. pressure clips similar to the tool ones.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, I found a Rootes library photo of the tall chrome extinguisher the same as on your post above. Do you know what size this is 8oz or 16oz ?

Sorry John,

I dont own them.. so unsure of the size.. i would assume the smaller one is the 8 and larger the 16.. but who knows