• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Roller Rockers for Alpine Engines (not V6)

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Someone mentioned that there is a guy in Florida making roller rockers for our Alpine engines. Anyone know anything about them?

I've now circled back and provide the following summary of the 8 pages that follow. I ultimately bought the rockers from Creative Workshop in Florida owned by Jason. They are now installed and I'm very happy with them. I got stock ratios because I didn't want to have to pull the head off to confirm I had clearance. The whole reason I did this was because my rockers and shafts were worn and clacking. I was just going to buy new ones, but Rick at SS suggested I get the rollers instead. In the process, I looked in through the spark plug holes with a tiny light and watched the clearance of the valve to the piston top - and it looks like I could easily go beyond stock ratios (but I don't think that is a good enough test).

The installation had some hiccups. As further described below, if you have the round spark plug hole head, with the factory shorter push rods (10 1/8"), and you don't care if your rollers are a tiny bit off center, you should be good. If you have the square hole head and stock pushrods, you might need to grind the head passageway a little for two of the pushrods to clear. If you want the roller tips to line up perfectly, and your valves have 1.516" spacing (that I've found on all heads so far), you will need to mill your stands to .840" wide - and grind away a little around the narrower surface.

(1) The roller tips did not line up perfectly on top of the valve ends. I had to have the rocker shaft stands milled narrower to .840" wide. Now they match perfectly. Note that I did not mill them evenly on each side. One was shifted a little right, one was shifted a little left, to get the rockers centered. I have no answer yet why others have installed these rockers and not discovered the same issue - but I've yet to be in contact with someone who still has their car with them on who can measure their stands and valves). As best I've been told, the valve spacing is identical in all Alpine heads (1.516"). I do have one thought: (a) my stands were NOS from SS and turned out to be a little bit wider than stock; and (b) the roller rocker design changed from straight cut rollers to beveled edges, which slightly narrowed the contact area. Perhaps combining the wider stands and the beveled edges made it so obvious that I noticed they were not lined up and kept going until right. It could be that with stock stands or straight rollers or both, I would never have noticed.

(2) The overall width of the roller rockers body is narrower than stock. So the large springs in the center of the rocker shafts are not as compressed - it is even worse if you mill the stands. It could use a few spacers to squeeze the springs to the compression they were.

(3) When mounted, the adjuster tips with the rollers are positioned a little narrower than stock. This did two things. I'm running a Holbay head, which is the later 1725 head with large square spark plug holes. I had aftermarket hollow pushrods which are wider. The combination of all those things caused the sides of two of the pushrods to hit the inner side of the head where the pushrods went through. I used a Dremel to grind away the interfering aluminum. However, later I had to switch to stock pushrods which are narrower. Since I already ground the heads before I did that, I don't know now if they would have hit too.

(4) There are at least three different lengths of pushrods in Alpines from the factory 10 1/18, 10 3/16 and possibly 10 5/16. My aftermarket pushrods are 10 5/16. The body of the roller rocker where the adjusting screw is is lower than the stock one. As a result, the lip of the pushrod cups hit the bottom of the rockers. So I had to go with the stock shorter ones that Rick sells. That took care of this issue. And FWIW, with the 10 1/8, the roller path (forward and back) is centered over the valve tip.

And don't forget to readjust the rockers once the engine is hot!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I am unaware of any reports from anyone running them in a real engine.

That the advertised ratio was so far different than the measured ratio of the stock rockers was concerning to me.

Running into coil bind and having under damped valve springs is a very real concern.

alpine_64

Donation Time
There is a guy here in Melbourne who has been running them in his car for a few years... He does light track work several times a year and road driving.

No idea what ratio he got , don't believe they have caused issues.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I still haven't done anything here. But, in looking at the pictures lately, I realize d that the stock rockers have a hole in the center for the oil to come out. But the roller do not. I wonder if this creates any problem.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Anyone have direct contact information for the guy who sells the roller rockers on eBay? I tried to reach him through eBay but he has not responded.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Anyone have direct contact information for the guy who sells the roller rockers on eBay? I tried to reach him through eBay but he has not responded.

Jay,

iirc he was from a performance prep shop.
They used to list their name in the ebay ad, " The Creative Workshop" maybe try googling their details for a direct contact?

I note their ebay ad says "This seller is currently away. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order"

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Thanks! I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I reached out to him. I sure hope not because it's pretty obvious!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
To make matters worse (and much worse for him than for me), I found them and they are located in Miami.

Jarrid, at one point you were talking about making roller rockers and possibly selling them. Did you ever? Do you have any left to sell?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
For what it's worth, I was inspecting my rockers tonight. I don't notice any play in the rockers around the rocker shaft. However, for the first time, I noticed when rocking the rockers in their normal working motion, there is a distinct notchiness. I'm not 100% sure. But, it's like either the sides are notching against the stands, or the inside of the rocker or the outside of the shaft are not perfectly round and it binds a little as it goes up and down past the most worn middle. I don't know if that makes enough play to make a clicking noise.

I'm definitely saddened for all the disaster. But, I hope I can in good faith say that what terrible timing for me to pull apart my engine, leaving it somewhat disabled in an not great spot. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put it back together to drive it well before those guys in Florida can possibly put far more of their lives and livelihoods back together. They've got it MUCH worse. I'm still bummed though.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay, I had great success with Delta Cams for reconditioning my 1725 rockers and shafts.

A rather quick turn-a-round too!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Well, I called them. They had some trees come down and awnings blow away. But they are already up and running again. I got them and will have them in 3 weeks. Report to follow. . .

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I went with "stock" 1.4. My car runs very well and I'm not taking it apart to make sure the valves won't hit the top of my pistons.

I put stock in quotes because I've seen posts here that stock is actually a little smaller than 1.4. So perhaps their 1.4 is a tiny bit bigger than true stock anyway.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
They have arrived! They are much more beefy than they appear in the pictures. Gotta go get some break in oil and moly lube. Then they go in this weekend.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They have arrived! They are much more beefy than they appear in the pictures. Gotta go get some break in oil and moly lube. Then they go in this weekend.

If you arent breaking in the cam or lifters, you dont need the moly.

If you have the equipment, weigh the rockers along with stock.
For extra credit, measure the net valve lift (with a drop gauge) with both stock and the roller rockers. I am skeptical about the rocker ratio.

tigretr

Donation Time
Hi guys,
I have seen a lot of discussion about the stock rocker ratio on Alpines. When I designed my roller rockers I meticulously measured my SV stock rocker ratios on all the rockers to ensure I got a valid number. There actually was a little variation between rockers but they averaged out to be 1.42:1 . That extra digit "2" may not matter to some but for me it mattered. There is a lot more than just ratio that goes into designing a good roller rocker but we can leave that for another discussion. I just figured I would chime in with actual data to clear up the speculation about stock Alpine ratios.

Jay, I look forward to reading an update about how you like the rockers you purchased. I think it is cool you can find them. I hope your experience is positive.

Here is a link to mine if you are curious. They are 15-5PH stainless hardened to H900 pushing on springs with 150# at the seat and 385# open at .516" lift.
http://www.myturboalpine.com/mysunbeamalpine/RollerRockers.html

Brian

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi guys,
I have seen a lot of discussion about the stock rocker ratio on Alpines. When I designed my roller rockers I meticulously measured my SV stock rocker ratios on all the rockers to ensure I got a valid number. There actually was a little variation between rockers but they averaged out to be 1.42:1 . That extra digit "2" may not matter to some but for me it mattered. There is a lot more than just ratio that goes into designing a good roller rocker but we can leave that for another discussion. I just figured I would chime in with actual data to clear up the speculation about stock Alpine ratios.

Jay, I look forward to reading an update about how you like the rockers you purchased. I think it is cool you can find them. I hope your experience is positive.

Here is a link to mine if you are curious. They are 15-5PH stainless hardened to H900 pushing on springs with 150# at the seat and 385# open at .516" lift.
http://www.myturboalpine.com/mysunbeamalpine/RollerRockers.html

Brian
Brian,

Great to see you posting again.... Is your car up and running .. I seem to recall it had an issue and you were doing some revisions .

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I actually have a drop gauge but no brackets to hold it. I can and will see if I can build one up. Shouldn't be a problem. But, since I've never done it before, either of you guys want to give me tips on where best to set it and how to do it?

My stock rockers are already off. But since I have a Holbay cam, it seems I will need to put them back on to get a base line.

tigretr

Donation Time
Alpine_64,
To answer your question, yes and no. Yes my motor is running but my car is a week or so away from hitting the road again. My motor has been super strong and is great. I am just finishing up a major rear suspension and brake upgrade. I will put some pictures together and start a new post on it here very soon. I am excited to share it with everyone.

Jay,
I would need to wrap my head around it again (it has been a while) but as I think it through, the best way to do it is to take a rocker off and place the drop gauge in the cup on the push rod (I believe they were cupped) so you can measure true lift from the lobe of the cam as you slowly rotate the motor. If you don't want to go through the hassle of taking a rocker off, then you can measure off the rocker lash adjustment screw. Ideally you are as coaxial with the pushrod as possible. Measuring off anything but the pushrod could introduce small errors in the measurement as the surface you are measuring from changes angles relative to the drop gauge, but it should get you close enough. Once you know actual lobe lift, move the drop gauge to the valve spring retainer. From the top of the valve spring retainer you can measure actual valve translation (lift). Now do the math. Valve lift/cam lift = rocker ratio

If you are taking the rockers off anyways, then do the valve lift measurement first, remove the rockers and do the cam lift using a pushrod.

I hope this helps.

Brian