• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rocker shaft o-rings

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I don't know how many people already know this. Perhaps I'm the last to know. I've had my Alpine since 1978 and have had the rockers off many a time. But, I have to say that when I just did my new roller rockers, it was the first time I learned that there might supposed to be o-rings between the brass T junction and the two rocker shafts. I have them in there now - but I have no idea how much oil has leaked out this joint over the years, keeping it from the rockers. As I said in another post, my oil would not strongly squirt out of the stock holes when I ran the engine with the valve cover off. But I will say that with the o-rings and the new roller rockers, there is plenty of oil all around the place.

attachment.php

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I picked up o-rings at my local hardware store. They had two thicknesses that had the right ID. The smaller thickness definitely squished on installation.

I have another one in a cup of oil on my workbench so I can see if it starts disintegrating.

One other observation. The pipe that brings the oil up - in the picture above it is straight. Mine has a loop in it. I have no idea which cars may have had which. Mine is a very late SV engine.

mightyohm

Donation Time
I've heard about the o-rings too but they were not present on either of the motors I've torn down and they are not shown in the parts book. I'm not sure if there were ever o-rings.

Attachments

• rocker_oil_feed.jpg
    rocker_oil_feed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 42

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'm not sure o rings were ever fitted stock to the rocker t-fitting, and I'm not sure how the fitting would wear out over the years, but installing o rings sure cut down the seepage around the fitting and increased the flow through the rockers. I've had the same pair from the bin at the local hardware store fitted for a couple of decades and many miles with no leakage.

Last edited: