• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RHD to LHD conversion

Jim E

Donation Time
Thinking to convert my S3 to LHD, is it possible to do this without pulling the engine. What all am I going to need... steering box and column... gizmo opposite of the box [steering arm] hand brake lever...dash...reroute brake lines...thoughts ?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have all the bits you need from the red S5 parts car.....pretty sure engine has to come out to get steering box+column in+out! Eric

mikephillips

Donation Time
Jim, you'll need,
1 steering box and idler arm assembly, rest of steering is universal
2 brake and clutch pedals
3 gas pedal linkage on the inside firewall, maybe gas pedal too depending on what was used in the rhd conversion
4 dash and cubby box
5 perhaps a wiring harness, depends on how the original conversion was done and if the main harness will fit
6 piece of brake line since the brake master will be farther away from the booster and union now

The emergency brake setup should swap from side to side, I don't believe there's anything handed that cannot be used.

Off the top of my head that should cover it.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I recently discovered that the steering arm and the relay arm assembly are different between early Series and Series V's. I think there are 3, maybe even 4 variations of stuff.

I bought a steering box with steering arm, and a complete relay arm assembly off eBay. The plan was to refurbish them, then swap onto my car. However, I noticed the parts do not match the parts on my SV. Now all of the parts may be dimensionally compatible but they are different.

Jim, I haven't verified exactly which Series my eBay parts came from but the are definitely not Series V, I will check again. If you decide to do the swap you can have them, no charge just shipping. They are a little ratty though and may need new bushings etc, so you get what you pay for...

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
RHD to LHD

Jim,
I think I read that fireboltgirl is converting a S3 from LHD to RHD. You two should talk - you may be able to help each other out.

Jim E

Donation Time
Between Eric G. and Todd S. think I have the bits needed pretty much covered other than a wood dash. The RHD bits I am sure will be wanted by someone. Doing this or at least thinking to do it because I need to sell this car and as a RHD it just will not sell. Now if I could just figure out how to replace the column with out pulling the motor it would be a whole lot easier, then again with the motor out I could detail the engine compartment and motor a lot easier.. which sounds like scope creep

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Between Eric G. and Todd S. think I have the bits needed pretty much covered other than a wood dash. The RHD bits I am sure will be wanted by someone. Doing this or at least thinking to do it because I need to sell this car and as a RHD it just will not sell. Now if I could just figure out how to replace the column with out pulling the motor it would be a whole lot easier, then again with the motor out I could detail the engine compartment and motor a lot easier.. which sounds like scope creep

But a detailed engine and engine bay will sell easier and for more money.

Bill