• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello all....

I am installing reversing lights on my Series V.

I know how the wiring works...I just need to know where to put it. Lol

I've searched the forums and the only post I found (I believe it was from 2008) said to:

route the wire from the reverse light switch on the transmission, along the fuel line, through the fuel line grommet, into the boot, and to the lights.

The gentleman who said that also said that he wasn't sure if that was correct, so I am asking for your input.

Thanks for any help and I hope you are all 'weathering the storm' that we are living in right now.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have no idea what might be correct. Personally, I wouldn't go through the fuel line grommet. I'd tend to follow existing wiring paths, so I'd probably run the wire from the switch on the gearbox back into the engine bay and then come through the main harness grommet into the cabin, then follow the rear brake lights + signal lights harness as it goes to the rear of the car. That gets you into the boot area and to the rear valence where I assume you will mount the lights.

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I usually take the top cover off the trans tunnel and either drill a hole in it or bend the edge a bit (to clear the
wires and then run them with the rear harness as suggested by Mike. For whatever reason I just don't like running wires
under the car ( probably just me!)

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Don't know if it's correct, but mine is routed as per your first option, 25years on its still functional.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I have no idea what might be correct. Personally, I wouldn't go through the fuel line grommet. I'd tend to follow existing wiring paths, so I'd probably run the wire from the switch on the gearbox back into the engine bay and then come through the main harness grommet into the cabin, then follow the rear brake lights + signal lights harness as it goes to the rear of the car. That gets you into the boot area and to the rear valence where I assume you will mount the lights.

Mike

Mikes suggestion is basically what I did to mount my L661 reverse lights on my SV.

........... David

65beam

Donation Time
Early series Alpines had the wiring harness for rear lights running under the car and secured by tabs on the sills. When I restored the RHD car I ran the wiring thru the firewall and secured to the channel on the inside sill below the door opening as on later series. Running the wiring thru the interior protects it from the elements and other things. Suggestions of what the factory did was probably for ease of assembly when the car was being built. The only wiring I have under the car is a very short section for the electric fuel pump and it enters the car and runs along the right sill and up to the ignition switch.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies.

Not knocking the under car route but for me, I think I'm more comfortable with getting the wiring inside the car in the shortest order.

As always, I appreciate the input!