• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

respray

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Covering well,is important to be sure. Poly is cheap
As to an exhaust fan. I have a large vent At floor level which is the powered by a bigger exhaust fan. I also have a door with a filter to supply air. I also use the disposable air filters. When sanding it works extrembly well but a dust mask is very important. I have a couple of proper half face respirators. Very important when spraying. My compressor is shop,size so do not run out of CFMs.
I decided to not use an exhaust fan but to use an old furnace blower on the supply side. This pressurizes the system and insures that all air that enters the paint area is filtered and eliminates the hazards of fumes passing around an electric motor.

I allowed air to escape the paint booth by making an opening diagonal to the air supply. i.e., supply air entered at the lower right corner of the garage door opening, air escaped at the upper left.

Bill

Alpine66

Donation Time
Sounds like a good set up.

I have a large air compressor now too, but went with an hvlp gun which I really like.
Does a decent job of laying down paint without a lot of overspray. Ran around 25 psi if I remember correctly.

Is that what you guys use?

Used a respirator with paint rated filters, for my mask.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sounds like a good set up.

I have a large air compressor now too, but went with an hvlp gun which I really like.
Does a decent job of laying down paint without a lot of overspray. Ran around 25 psi if I remember correctly.

Is that what you guys use?

Used a respirator with paint rated filters, for my mask.

I used a Harbor Freight HVLP gun. Its weird in that you need high pressure in order to get low pressure. It is internally designed so that in order to get the proper pressure at the nozzle, you have to feed it about 50spi. To make it really interesting, there is no way to monitor the nozzle pressure.

Yes, I used a face mask with organic vapor rated filters. Its important to remember about face masks - they are considered to be only about 90% effective. So it is always best to reduce ambient concentration as much as possible.

Bill

JonPiz

Donation Time
Get the car back tomorrow. This is just before polishing
WP_20150608_003_zpslalybgaw.jpg
WP_20150608_001_zpsxcmifzze.jpg

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
My HVLP spray gun is a separate unit. It has its own turbine for air supply
It delivers warm air to,the gun. This eliminates any moisture. . The unit complete with gun and hose and turbine weighs 25 pounds or maybe a bit more
I have had this unit for maybe 35 years. I did do,a rebuild on the gun about 15 years ago.It was a well used unit when I was still working. I sprayed a hell of a lot of lacquer with it
Still,works good.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Its Mercedes China Blue. Its similar to the original shade but I think this looks better. They used it on W123's in 1980.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Beautiful Blue and nice Alpine! Love that dash, especially the glove box door....