• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Repro horn ring

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Chaps,

Can anyone confirm the quality of the reproduction horn ring from Rootes Post Vintage in The Netherlands for me please?

The seller assures me that it is identical to the original which appeals, since the casting of the alternate repro item is heavier to provide some strength but this spoils it's appearance.

http://rootesparts.com/id223.htm

It certainly looks the part but I would be interested in some feedback from someone who's seen one "in the flesh".

Cheers, Lance.

Last edited:

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
That's where I got mine, not perfect but I like it , may possibly not be concourse if you inspect it with a magnifying glass
Tom j

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Tom,

Thanks for the info, could you be a bit more specific re. the quality and was yours a recent purchase?

Cheers, Lance.

Mark B

Donation Time
I purchased one and it was identical if not slightly better quality than the original. Very slight overspray of the black that I buffed off by hand. Felt a bit more stout and less flexible than the original and has held up well so far.

Mark B

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Mark,

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for....

If the originals are adjusted correctly and used carefully they will last indefinitely, however if used in anger or as an occasional entry/exit hand rest...need I say more.

It's interesting to note how many of the US cars for sale on ebay/craigslist have broken horn rings but one rarely sees the same on cars in the UK? Perhaps our English friends are more polite or just less clumsy.......:rolleyes:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's interesting to note how many of the US cars for sale on ebay/craigslist have broken horn rings but one rarely sees the same on cars in the UK? Perhaps our English friends are more polite or just less clumsy.......

Mine have broken with very little use, and surely no abuse. If there IS a differenece in failures between US and UK, I would estimate it to be due to wider temerature fluctuations in the US, leading to metal fatigue. I have repaired mine using JB Weld, with a few small nails embedded for added strength, across the back side of the break.

Tom

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mine have broken with very little use, and surely no abuse. If there IS a differenece in failures between US and UK, I would estimate it to be due to wider temerature fluctuations in the US, leading to metal fatigue. I have repaired mine using JB Weld, with a few small nails embedded for added strength, across the back side of the break.

Tom

As my Father said when, after following cold weather starting instructions in the owners manual, my Series II failed to start on a 10 degree morning, "Pump it two or three times. Those Limeys don't know what cold weather is."

What they call "cold" we describe as "chilly".

Bill

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom,

Thanks for the info, could you be a bit more specific re. the quality and was yours a recent purchase?

Cheers, Lance.[/
I've had mine for about 4-5years, the only faults are a couple of what look like casting flaws in a few spots , for my car they fit right in .
Tom
J

albeam

Donation Time
moonstone iv

I purchased the said horn ring from the same supplier
last year. Excellent service and delivery to australia. Fit up was spot on and it looks really smart. Good reproduction product.

Albeam

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
An update to my horn ring saga......

Took the plunge and ordered the item from Rootes Postvintage Spares after being re assured by them that it was an exact copy of the OE item. Certainly the pics on their web site are very convincing.

Item finally arrives and before I've even removed it from the plastic bag I could see things weren't quite right. The poor casting finish of the ring itself was disappointing but the clincher was the hole in one of the spokes.........

After voicing my displeasure in an email to the supplier I was told quote "obviously there has been something wrong and this one slipped through. That happens." REALLY!!! So it slipped all the way through the chroming, painting, bagging, boxing and finally THE READY TO POST OVERSEAS process......:mad:

I was then told if I destroyed the item and provided proof they'd offer a full refund. When pushed it turned out that "full" only meant part of the postage. Then followed a series of emails none of which included even an apology for the stuff up. Finally I gave up and I've decided to repair the flaw in the spoke. The other bits I'll just have to live with.

The worst part is the item is almost identical to the original in it's dimensions and even has the part #'s on the rear of the spokes and the Lucas production date on the rear contact. This particular example however should never have been provided for retail sale.

So for anyone planning on using Rootes Postvintage in the future just be aware that this example, along with the poorly finished trunk hinges, poorly finished fuel filler neck surrounds, undersize gearbox layshafts, sloppy top ball joints etc. may lead to some disappointment and frustration. It seems they really do "put the K in quality."

Attachments

• DSC02095 (Large).jpg
    DSC02095 (Large).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02096 (Large).jpg
    DSC02096 (Large).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC02097 (Large).jpg
    DSC02097 (Large).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC02099 (Large).jpg
    DSC02099 (Large).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 56

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Seems like you're due at least a partial refund even though you kept it. There certainly can be loopholes in the manufacturing process, but usually at high volume production. I'd heard only good things about this supplier especially the crankshaft pulley with damper. Good luck with your repairs.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the "heads-up"... I need a couple rings and was leaning toward the outfit. What now?

chazza

Donation Time
The worst part is the item is almost identical to the original ... and the Lucas production date on the rear contact.

"

Hard luck cobber!

I make reproduction aluminium castings for a variety of cars (not Alpines) but one thing I would never do is make a false manufacturing date. Some day, some poor sod might be fooled into paying good money, for something that is not original!

Cheers Charlie