• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement fuel line

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Recently finished cleaning out and resealing the gas tank on my SII. Pulled the steel fuel lines and they are a mess. Badly corroded, gunked up, etc. Thinking of replacing with a rubber line. Good idea? Or should I go back to steel?

65beam

Donation Time
I bought a 25 ft roll of the 1/4" copper alloy from Advance Auto Parts. It's a regular stock item. Doug @ Tiger Auto used this for the fuel line and as Tony said, it's very easy to work. It's the line near the steering box in this photo. FYI, Advance also stocks various lengths of this product in premade bubble flair brake lines. 110_0389.JPG

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would not use copper plumbing tubing for gas line, but that is the engineer in me understanding that plumbing grade copper tubing work hardens and can fail when exposed to vibration. When was the last time anyone saw OEM fuel line made from copper plumbing tubing?

Cupronickel (an alloy of copper and nickel) is a completely different critter and is very well suited for fuel (and brake) lines.

JMO, YMMV.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I re-did all of my brake and fuel lines with the copper nickel. Also easy to work with and as noted - well suited for the job. I imagine the "copper alloy" from the auto parts store is the copper nickel stuff.

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
would not use copper plumbing tubing for gas line, but that is the engineer in me understanding that plumbing grade copper tubing work hardens and can fail when exposed to vibration. When was the last time anyone saw OEM fuel line made from copper plumbing tubing?

Cupronickel (an alloy of copper and nickel) is a completely different critter and is very well suited for fuel (and brake) lines.

Sorry, that's what I was referring to. I use that extensively for brakes and it works well for gas lines too!
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
I would not use copper plumbing tubing for gas line, but that is the engineer in me understanding that plumbing grade copper tubing work hardens and can fail when exposed to vibration. When was the last time anyone saw OEM fuel line made from copper plumbing tubing?

JMO, YMMV.
I mentioned that it was the " COPPER ALLOY" brake line sold by Advance Auto Parts and that in addition to rolls, they stock various lengths of bubble flair brake lines in this product. I have it on four of our Beams. A 25 ft roll at advance cost me $62.99 or $2.52 per foot. I call on several chains of big box auto stores and see this automotive product in all of them.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
A 25 ft roll at advance cost me $62.99 or $2.52 per foot
Wow, that's a lot more than I pay for a 25' roll of 3/16 copper nickel. I paid $35 a roll at a specialty fastener store
locally. At that I thought it was expensive and the cost goes up as the diameter increases!
Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I replaced both brake & fuel lines in steel & Cupronickel. But, one needs a flaring tool & new fittings to do this repair too.
Jan

67Survivor

Donation Time
Sunbeam Specialties is basically $140 for a full set of lines, with all fittings on both ends. Correct thread etc. Costs more than a bulk roll, but I find my time more valuable than another $50 in my jeans. I also like the idea of supporting the guy that has all the other parts I need. If we don't support these little guys selling us the specialty items, we look at a future of walking into car parts stores that don't even list our car in their know it all computers. Yes, Sunbeam... that's right, look between Subaru and Suzuki... Hmmm not there? I suppose you don't have a (add any part name here) then?

65beam

Donation Time
I agree about SS and Classic. Some items that were used on other cars are available from Moss but you need to know what to order. There aren't too many weeks that go by that I don't buy something from Rick. A lot of the items in this photo such as rebuild kits were bought from Rick. I find myself ordering two replacements if I use a part. A lot of parts have been added since this photo was taken.107_1049.JPG

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Anybody know offhand what size the fittings are on the fuel line? At the gas tank and at the fuel pump?