• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement Clock Question

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
My 2 3/8" clock has had it and it maybe too expensive to fix. Advice on replacement? Has a quartz conversion satisfied/dissatified anyone? Anyone attempted to fit the Autometer 2 5/8" Sport Comp. How does it look in your dash? So far, it looks to me the most like our stock clocks? What did you have to do to fit it? How about the VDO 2 1/2 " ? I see a presentable and correct sized 60mm clock from Asia frequently on e-bay. Anyone fitted one of these? Any and all clock choices and fitting advice welcomed.

Ed

dmich2

Donation Time
Ed. I replaced all my stock gauges with Autometer Carbon Fibers and use an old Volvo clock just like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINT...cessories&fits=Make:Volvo&hash=item2c5edeaac5

I took some duck tape, torn a piece about 1/2" wide and a foot long and wrapped the housing to take up the extra space, locked it down with the backing clamp, wired it and wala. Works great, looks ok, in my humble opinion, and it keeps good time.

I did rearrange my instruments also. I mounted the clock between the tach and speedo. I have the temp, oil and fuel to the right of the speedo.

Good luck.

Dennis

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think Jim stone had the details of a jaguar gauge guy who did quartz conversions on the stock clock. I believe the results were very good. I think CAT also offer a clock that looks very similar to the stock smiths unit... personally i would either have the original rebuilt or converted if its the correct one... do you actually have the correct clock for your alpine?

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the responses guys. No, I do not have an original clock, but it is a Jaegar which was made in France. I purchased it on e-bay about 5 years ago and it has kept good time until something went wrong with the armature. I have it at a clock repairer now in Seattle who says that he has to make a part from scratch to repair it so he can guarantee it to last. He wants $150 to do the job. My clock looks almost exactly like the original that was a SV option. If this doesn't work out I am looking at other options. My main concern is size and bezel. I see no 60 mm clocks for sale from any of our suppliiers except for the CAT ones and they want over $300 for theirs. Also, getting a chrome bezel to match the other gauges might be difficult.
I like the AutoMeter Sport Comp but I think that I would have to enlarge the opening slightly as it is 2 5/8" diameter and I would want to paint over the AutoMeter logo. Other than that it looks sharp and cheap. On line about $72 brand-new.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My clock looks almost exactly like the original that was a SV option. If this doesn't work out I am looking at other options. My main concern is size and bezel.
I see no 60 mm clocks for sale from any of our suppliiers except for the CAT ones and they want over $300 for theirs.

Also, getting a chrome bezel to match the other gauges might be difficult.

Ed,

Ebay Uk has a heap of the 60mm clocks.. you could just buy one of those and have your face swapped over.. or do a quartz coversion on your exiting. I would say that $150 is not so bad if you get the rclock you want, it looks correct and you know it will work.. the additonal 75 over buying an autometer one will be long fogottten as you enjoy your current one over the next several years.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, Michael. You are probably right. I am leaning that way. That is, having my clock repaired.

Ed