• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

replaced my fuel cell

Alpine66

Donation Time
Had a temporary plastic fuel cell in the trunk of my V, and was going to address it later down the list of things to accomplish, until the in tank fuel pump quit pumping.
So rather than replace the pump and then have to replace it all later anyway I decided to just replace the tank and set up, which also meant I had to weld in a panel in the trunk after removing the bondo'd spare holder.

So that one thing to do snowballed into a big project.

I bought a tank and had a buddy cut it down to fit into the recesses in the trunk. Could have bought a custom tank to fit but the cost was higher and there was a lead time.
Had to change the fuel level sender type from a lever float because Im using foam, to a column type.

Pics of the trunk in primer, painted and with the majority of install finished.

Found out today that the replacement trunk floor may be available....

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_175750 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170217_175750 - Copy.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20170219_112651 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170219_112651 - Copy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20170221_193143 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170221_193143 - Copy.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
James,

Interesting solution!

Where did you source the fuel cell? Will the spare lay flat behind the fuel cell?

Alpine66

Donation Time
James,

Interesting solution!

Where did you source the fuel cell? Will the spare lay flat behind the fuel cell?

Thanks Barry,

I bought it from summit racing, I can dig up the product number if you are interested. It was originally a 16 gal, and now is a tad over 10 might be 11.

Think I bought the external pump there too, but had it for a while.

I was measuring for the spare fitment the other day, it wont lay down flat but Im going to fabricate a bracket to hold it at an angle. Im running 14" tires, but I think a fifteen will fit too.

Alpine66

Donation Time
That looks great, I like you still have a trunk space.

Thanks, yes my temporary cell had a larger footprint because it was more horizontal than vertical.
It left just enough room for a small tool bag and a repair manual, no room for much of anything else.....

That fuel pump dying kind of did me a favor, as Ive not been happy with the temp set up and was just waiting to get to it, and at that point I had to get on it if I wanted a running 'Pine.

Wish I had looked for a replacement floor first, but its done and looks Much better.

kmathis

Donation Time
Thanks for posting those pictures as I have considered doing a fuel cell as well. Looks great, and that is a very nice job of closing up the spare tire well, looks like it was always that way. I guess I'm adding another project to the list.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Thanks for posting those pictures as I have considered doing a fuel cell as well. Looks great, and that is a very nice job of closing up the spare tire well, looks like it was always that way. I guess I'm adding another project to the list.

Thanks, hard work but well worth it. I never cared for the original set up with that balance tube so close to the back, imo it's safer this way.
Am considering fabricating a sheet metal block between the trunk and the convertible top well to provide some additional protection.