• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing Undercoating

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The process for removing the factory undercoating has been discussed multiple times in this and the original forums. The basic process is to use heat (torch or heat gun) to soften the undercoating, scrap it off, then remove any remaining undercoating using a solvent (carb cleaner, lacquer thinker and paint remover have all been used). I’ve just finished removing mine and have an addition to the process I think is worth passing on: steel wool.

I used a heat gun for my first pass. I tried a propane torch, but a heat gun seemed to work as well and minimized the risk. I found a relatively small scraper, 1†in my case, worked best. Immediately after scrapping off a small area, I rubbed coarse steel wool over it to remove the remaining traces of the undercoating. In most cases, this took it right down to the primer. When it didn’t, it was usually because the steel wool was clogged and needed to be replaced. Occasionally, a little more heat was needed, but the sheet metal seemed to retain the heat long enough that I could scrape an area, steel wool it, then move to the next fairly efficiently.

There are two advantages to this approach. First, steel wool works very well on irregular areas and curves. In many cases, (areas like welds were particularly difficult to scrape) I skipped the scraper entirely and just used the steel wool. The second is that it minimizes the time needed with the solvent. Generally speaking, a rag soaked in lacquer thinner seemed to do a very good job of quickly removing anything that was left over. The drawback is that the steel wool does scratch the primer up, in many cases down to bare metal. Finer wool would minimize this (I used grade 3) but it takes more effort and has to be changed more often.

All in all, it is a miserable job, especially as I don’t have a rotisserie and am doing the whole thing on my back. If I had it to do over, I would have paid extra to have it blasted off when I did the rest of the car. But that’s another story.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Jim: Your ideas sound great! I'm going to be doing the same job in a few weeks on my S3. How far off the ground do you have the car? I know jack stands aren't that high! Also, how do you plan on painting it? I just can't see spraying the bottom while it's only 4 or 5 inches away from your face:D .

I plan on removing both front & rear suspensions to do this nasty job!
Cheers!
Steve

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
I took the easy way out, tried scraping and everything else then desided to let the dipper do it, came out like new metal.

I used Metal Rehab in Fort Worth TX.

Paul

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I've had the car up on ramps - I jacked it up to set it on them. Its not very high off the ground, but high enough to work. Painting would be difficult, but I am having that done professoinally and my painter has a stand that he will put the car on when the time comes. I originally skipped the area under the suspension, planning on doing that after the car goes to the painter. However, he is not going to be ready for a month, so I will probably put the rear end on jack stands, remove the rear axle and work on that while I wait.

As to the easy way out, I hate to admit this, but I declined my sand blaster's offer to remove the undercoating for me. They actually used a mix of plastic beads and corn starch to remove the paint on top, but would have had to switch to something more abrasive for the underside. That sounded both expensive and risky, so I decided to just leave the undercoating on. That was a mistake as subsequent work showed several areas where the undercoating has separated from the body and others where blasting media had worked its way under or behind the undercoating, which is why I had to remove it. Given that I only paid $450 for the media blasting, I would have gladly paid more to have them do the underside.

Oh well, I'll do better in the next life.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, aincha glad this time around is just a trial run? It's the only think that keeps me going.

Bill