• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing splined rear hubs?

britbeam

Donation Time
Jack my experience has been that you are probably going to need to apply a little heat. I removed one with heat from a propane tourch but I have had to get the big torch out on one. When it releases it will pop and you will know its coming off. Good luck I think this is probably the most troublesome part of working on a Alpine. Although you can talk with someone that has had it easy taking hubs off and they will tell you"What are you talking about". They just havent experienced the mother hubs yet.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Beamin Dave

Silver Level Sponsor
Okay I will probably get some one telling me this is not safe but I have not had any problems trying this before total disassemble and puller time. If the car is driveable first back off the axle nut no more than 1 turn. Find a quiet side street. Drive car and do a few slalom style swerve and turns. You just might hear a slight pop of the hub loosening from the shaft. Can save time and trouble. Just remember 1 turn on nut and no other cars around!:D
Dave

wframe

Donation Time
I'll be the first to comment on the safety aspect of that idea. I have been dealing with the damage to my Alpine from rolling backward of a jack under the front cross-member (see attached picture). I can't imagine what kind of damage might occur if a rear hub and wheel came off while doing "a few slalom style swerve and turns".:confused:

Attachments

• ASIPicture 003.jpg
    ASIPicture 003.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 58

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Okay I will probably get some one telling me this is not safe but I have not had any problems trying this before total disassemble and puller time. If the car is driveable first back off the axle nut no more than 1 turn. Find a quiet side street. Drive car and do a few slalom style swerve and turns. You just might hear a slight pop of the hub loosening from the shaft. Can save time and trouble. Just remember 1 turn on nut and no other cars around!:D
Dave

I think this procedure (one where you loosen the axle nut and "drive" the hub loose) is a wives tale.

The amount of force that the car can put on that axle through the wheel is insignificant compared to the force a puller can put on the hub (hundreds of pounds versus thousands of pounds), not to mention the lack of concern for your well being should the hub actually seperate from the tapered shaft.

Beamin Dave

Silver Level Sponsor
That is why I stated one turn only. You all can do what you want. I figure it is worth a try. To each their own.
Dave

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Removing Hubs

Jack, I have never had to remove the rear hubs on my Alpine, but years ago I did remove the left rear from my 55 JAG XK 140. Being young I did not know to leave the nut screwed on the end of the shaft; I put a lot of torque on the puller screw. When I hit it with a maul, it came off alright!! I was very lucky I was not in front of it. It would have broken a few bones. Be careful. Doing this could hurt.
Lee