• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Red Baron Movie

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Most people here are probably already aware of this, but for those who are not, there is a German movie in production about the life of MV Richthofen. While I understand the writers have taken liberties with the facts of his life a little (what movie doesn't) the airplanes look to be spot on. Click on the link and it will take you to view the 24MB trailer which I found (I figured out how to save the movie file to my computer, if you're interested) I looks very exciting to me and I am really looking forward to it on the big, big screen.
spandau.gif

http://www.pixomondo.com/web/showreel/index.htm

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Can't wait for the reviews to come in

Most people here are probably already aware of this, but for those who are not, there is a German movie in production about the life of MV Richthofen. QUOTE]

I can't wait for Nickodell to review that one! :D Nick, I'm saying that with the greatest of respect for you, having read your previous postings on the subject.

Nickodell

Donation Time
On principle I won't see it, of course.

In case I've given the wrong impression, let me state that anyone who takes to the skies in a war is by definition heroic and brave. I have never suggested that Richthofen was not brave, and probably a very capable dogfighter and marksman. What I object strenuously to is his portrayal as 1) the greatest ace of all; 2) a "chivalrous" foe; 3) a great leader.

1) As I have mentioned before, Richtofen rarely ventured out of the protection of his "Circus." Its purpose, other than to shoot down enemy planes of course, was to shield him until he was ready to dive to attack and then hi-tail it back into the fold. On the three known times he went out without his protectors he was shot down (including the last time, when he was killed). The German system was to create and maintain several legends of Prussian valor. They did much the same in WWII (albeit men like Hartman and Barkhorn were the genuine article), and it was a bad idea as when they were, almost all of them, inevitably killed, the effect on morale was terrible.

It got so bad that R (for short) was often awarded victories actually won by unknowns in his Jagdstaffel. In addition, at least 15, and possibly as many as 20 of his claimed victories were never confirmed by German HQ. But who was going to contradict the Red Baron, or, worse, accuse him of being a fake? A really significant book detailing the R myths is The Years of the Sky Kings, by Arch Whitehouse. Whitehouse was a pilot himself on the Western Front, flying fighters and 2-seater observation planes, and one of Richtofen's claimed victories. R's combat report describes in great detail how he had shot W's plane down in flames, when W actually landed due to engine trouble.

Most of R's actual victories were against lumbering, often obsolete, and virtually defenseless observation planes, not equal fighters like the Camel and SE5a.

Remember, too, that the British and French (and from 1918, American) planes flew continually over German lines; bombing, strafing and taking photos of army buildups. The Germans did this much less often. And the prevailing wind is westerly, meaning that the returning Allied planes had to battle against a headwind on the way home, resulting in a true groundspeed often as low as 40 or 50 mph and giving the Germans ample time to intercept. When the Germans made one of their rare forays into Allied territory, they could hit and then scoot back with the wind giving them a nice push.

2) Chivalrous my foot. He glorified in killing, and certainly never gave an opponent a break. His home was decorated with pieces removed from crashed planes that he had shot down, or claimed to have. He did not, ever, venture over Allied lines daring somone to come up and duel one-on-one. And if an opponent ran out of ammunition, there was no question of the Hollywood salute and on your way, fellow, good luck etc.

3) He was also a rotten leader. Apart from grabbing credit for someone else's victories, he had no time for shepherding new pilots and showing them how to be successful, or even, like many Allied leaders did, actually giving them a victory to give them confidence. An arrogant braggart and bully, all ME ME ME. As Whitehoulse relates, from his conversations after the war with R's contemporaries, on one occasion when a formation of British planes was overhead, he yelled at a rookie pilot "GO UP THERE AND BE KILLED," which the rookie promptly did.

Germany had many real aces, like Immelmann, Udet, Voss and, even, old Fat Herman Goering himself, and these were generally good leaders. But it is Richtofen that the public, over here and over there, insists on giving the accolades to.

P.S. Richtofen's Fokker Triplane was a dead copy of the Sopwith Triplane. I'll bet Goering wished they could have copied the Mosquito in WWII.

And that's all I have to say about that. I have to go and play table tennis.

O

odl21

the whole thing looks computerized - even the shots on the ground. i suspect it'll be a bit like a cross between the titanic and pearl harbor...

in titanic they apparently only had enough processing power to make people walking on the deck walk in one of two directions and the ship's hull looked like a stealth boat, the angles were so sharp. and pearl harbor - well, need i say more?

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
This WWI talk reminds me of another book, Falcons of France by Nordhoff and Hall of the Bounty trilogy fame. I read it 45 years ago and parts are still vivid in my memory.