• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rebuilding S1 Master Cylinder

av8rbum

Donation Time
Trying to get the plunger and springs out of the master cylinder. Workshop manual says just to blow air into the ports... no luck. I've pulled the circlip and the pushrod, but the plunger seems to be hitting up against something and won't pop out. Any ideas?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
More like rambling thoughts than ideas.

There is nothing to prevent the piston from coming out, other than crud and corrosion. Try to push the piston in further and clean the bore as well as you can. A little PB Blaster might help. Then try air. If air does not do it, you can plumb a grease gun to the cylinder outlet port, then that sucker will come out, guaranteed! However, if the bore is that bad, you will almost certainly need a new unit.

Bill

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
When you get it apart have the master sleeved with brass and bored to stock size and it should last a life time:cool: White Post Restorations have this service or I am sure someone out in Calf. can do it as well

av8rbum

Donation Time
Got it

All I had to do was rap it on the desk a couple of times and it popped out.

I'll check into the brass sleeve...sounds like a good idea. Especially if it's cheaper than the $130 for a new MC.

Rick

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Be careful with these guys, I sent them a Alpine clutch master and they really messed it up, I had to throw it out, it would never keep fluid in it for long.