• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rebel Wiring Harness

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I just ordered a Rebel harness for my 67 Alpine on eBay. Can anyone tell me if it is complete. Do I need an instrument harness to go with it? Will it come with connectors or will I need to put them on? I also ordered a voltmeter from Moss. Is this an easy install? I also have an upgraded tach. Does it still need to be connected with the looped white wire? Sorry, so many questions.

Gary

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also have an upgraded tach

What do you mean by "Upgraded ...." ? IF converted from 4 cyl to a V6 you should be good. Check this with Tom H or Mike Hartman.... they are excellent on the electrical and of course other things Sunbeam:)

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I designed the kit and sold several hundred of them. I can most likely help you. The Rebel manual will not be much help. You can contact me at palmjeld at yahoo dot com if you like. Pete

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I designed the kit and sold several hundred of them. I can most likely help you. The Rebel manual will not be much help. You can contact me at palmjeld at yahoo dot com if you like. Pete

Thanks, I most likely will be in touch. I'm waiting on parts before I start ripping things out. I have a new wood dash, new switches, voltmeter, rebuilt tach, new instrument chrome surrounds and gaskets, led lights, and other odds and ends. Any pointers on how to start would be great.
Gary

chimpodunker

Donation Time
There is a lot of chatter about relays. Are they included with the Rebel kit? What else should I replace while I have the dash out? Flasher? I also ordered LED dash lights and they sent an electrical box with them but no directions for installation. What if some bulbs are not converted to LED? Is this an all or none situation?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Rebel harness comes with a fuel pump relay /fan , horn relay and turn signal flasher.
I'm not as familiar with LEDs (yet) but I understand that in order to have them work, voltage needs
to be reduced as they use less current than the traditional bulbs do. That may be what the "box" you received
will do for you I also believe that you can have incandescent bulbs in some things as well as LEDs, you
just have to wire them differently.

Hope that helps,
Steve

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the 'electrical box' looks like the photo below, it is an electronic flasher for the turn signal. It is a replacement for the stock thermal flasher, because the thermal flasher won't work properly with LED turn signal bulbs. The reason is the LED bulbs use less current than incandescent bulbs. The lower current reduces the amount of heat being generated within the thermal flasher and that impacts the flashing rate. The voltage does not need to be reduced when switching to LEDs.

upload_2019-1-11_14-57-59.png

Mike

chimpodunker

Donation Time
OK, just pulled in the harness. First questions. The red Battery wire in the main fused harness. Does it go all the way to the battery and is that where the fuseable link is installed? There were also two connectors included but I don't know where they go or how they are put together. Also, I assume I use my original instrument light circuit, is that correct. I have two wires that come off of the screen/cabin lever of the heater but I don't know where they go. I don't see them on any of the wire diagrams. Do I need to put together a grounding circuit for the instruments? No hurry on these.
Thanks,
Gary

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, just pulled in the harness. First questions. The red Battery wire in the main fused harness. Does it go all the way to the battery and is that where the fuseable link is installed? There were also two connectors included but I don't know where they go or how they are put together. Also, I assume I use my original instrument light circuit, is that correct. I have two wires that come off of the screen/cabin lever of the heater but I don't know where they go. I don't see them on any of the wire diagrams. Do I need to put together a grounding circuit for the instruments? No hurry on these.
Thanks,
Gary
Contact me via email. Palmjeld at yahoo dot com. P

loose_electron

Donation Time
The Rebel harness comes with a fuel pump relay /fan , horn relay and turn signal flasher.
I'm not as familiar with LEDs (yet) but I understand that in order to have them work, voltage needs
to be reduced as they use less current than the traditional bulbs do. That may be what the "box" you received
will do for you I also believe that you can have incandescent bulbs in some things as well as LEDs, you
just have to wire them differently.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Most LED bulb assemblies are done in a manner where they are 12V compatible. You should not need additional exterior circuitry.

An incandescent bulb that is 12V rated, can be wired in parallel with a 12V LED bulb that is configured for 12V. These do not need to be wired differently.

A individualn LED is not 12V compatible and does require extra support circuitry,
However the majority of LED 12V lights are not individual LED's but rather a composite "module" of multiple LEDs so that it behaves like a 12V bulb.

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I've heard two sides maxi-fuse or fuseable link at the Rebel Wiring connection to battery power at the solenoid. Rebel furnished a fuseable link but if I go with a maxi-fuse, what size? I do have a an amplifier added to sound system, otherwise the rest is pretty stock.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
All,
I just came in house after hours debugging issue with Series IV original wiring as modified for Ford V6 engine.
Car starts and runs fine now, but it worries me to drive far in it due to wiring kluge. I will watch this thread closely to see how it goes.
Meanwhile, is there anyone that does the Alpine V6 "out with the old and in with the new" wire harness for $$? If so, how much, how long, and where?
I am 81 and still like to drive the Alpine(as does my grandson), but working on it, nor so much.
PS I live in the Dallas area.

Last edited:

loose_electron

Donation Time
I've heard two sides maxi-fuse or fuseable link at the Rebel Wiring connection to battery power at the solenoid. Rebel furnished a fuseable link but if I go with a maxi-fuse, what size? I do have a an amplifier added to sound system, otherwise the rest is pretty stock.

350A in line fuse back near the battery.

40A in line fuse at the point on the starter solenoid that feeds power to the ignitions switch.

I do not like the idea of a "fusable link" in the wiring. Use a properly encased and isolated fuse with a defined amperage.

You may have to go a bit higher than 40A depending on what your car uses for current. I have all LED lights and modern electronic instruments, and 40A works just fine for me. Older lights and instruments suck more power.

The inline fuses (fusee and case) are a few dollars on EBay.

loose_electron

Donation Time
All,
I just came in house after hours debugging issue with Series IV original wiring as modified for Ford V6 engine.
Car starts and runs fine now, but it worries me to drive far in it due to wiring kluge. I will watch this thread closely to see how it goes.
Meanwhile, is there anyone that does the Alpine V6 "out with the old and in with the new" wire harness for $$? If so, how much, how long, and where?
I am 81 and still like to drive the Alpine(as does my grandson), but working on it, nor so much.
PS I live in the Dallas area.

The Rebel harness works well, but I would add the two fuses that I have mentioned above. Go talk to a custom car shop or restoration shop in the Dallas area and ask them to do the installation.