• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear view mirrors

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

I have bought a few rear view mirrors for Series I to III and need your expert help to identify.

1) I have one with a crackle paint finish and flat based chrome stem where it meets the mirror (there was no formed plastic mirror recess tray with it) the mirror drops directly into the metal mirror back.
View attachment 2239

I have 2 others units with a vinyl covered back and a plasic formed and recessed mirror 'tray' and chrome stems that have a lip at the top (SIII and later?)
View attachment 2240

I am restoring all 3 that I have and have had the stems re chromed (pot metal :eek:) and the glasses re-mirror'd. I will keep the corect one for a SII and offer the other two restored units to any one here on the forum who wants one.

Let me know if interested.

All the best

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
oliver,

If you email me some pics i'll tell you which goes with which series. The I/Ii onmes are different from the S3, the early SIV and MKI Tiger use the S3 one.. the later SIV and all SV and MKIA/II Tigers use the larger one.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
All the Series I-III mirrors were metal with wrinkle finish. The plastic covered vinyl were Series V and Tiger. Not really sure on the IV as I have never owned one!
The lip is designed to go over the later windshield frames (III-Tiger). The one and two chrome frames use a flat mounting base.

Paul

1) I have one with a crackle paint finish and flat based chrome stem where it meets the mirror (there was no formed plastic mirror recess tray with it) the mirror drops directly into the metal mirror back

I have 2 others units with a vinyl covered back and a plastic formed and recessed mirror 'tray' and chrome stems that have a lip at the top (SIII?)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
For Series IV, at least the one that is on my Series IV is very similar to the Series 1-3 mirror in shape, but is plastic wrapped like a Series V mirror, but with the Series 1-3 shape.
Hope that helps.
Steve

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks all for your replies. So the crinkle paint unit is correct for series II's. Was there a plastic 'band' that went around the edge once the mirror was installed? cant believe that a bare edge showed. Can someone nip outside and take a photy of theirs for my ref. I would be vv grateful. My donor car had some after market nasty so I have no reference.

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.

Olly