• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rear toe alignment

mbruskin

Donation Time
As a byproduct of the alignment on my series 5 Alpine, the specs for the rear wheels is given. It shows that one rear wheel has some toe in and the other has some toe out. What causes this and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Murray

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As a byproduct of the alignment on my series 5 Alpine, the specs for the rear wheels is given. It shows that one rear wheel has some toe in and the other has some toe out. What causes this and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Murray

Terribly unlikely.

The equipment used to check your alignment may be out of calibration.

While its possible for a solid axle vehicle to have some camber or toe, having it requires a full floating axle and careful welding, or a bent axle/wheels, which would be undrivable.

If there is measurable toe it will likely reverse signs as the wheels rotate.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hang on... if one has toe-in, and the other toe-out, is it just possible the axle is not properly aligned on the springs, with one end slightly forward of the other?

alpine_64

Donation Time
How would I check that? What would I take measurements from?

Murray

measure your wheels front to back to the centres.. both sides should be even.

It would be very odd for you to have toe in/out on an alpine.. either something is bent or the shop is trying to squeeze some $ out of you. You cant really do a rear end alignment on a solid axel.. they are either straight.. or not

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As the others have indicated, the rear axle is simply not square with the car, or the car was not straight on the alignment rack. If the axle is not square with the car, it causes the car to "dog track", i.e. the rear wheels do not follow exactly in the path of the front wheels. Of course, an Alpine cannot have the rear wheels follow in the path of the fronts as they have a narrower track width. Anyway, if the car, while going straight and viewed from behind, seems to be going slightly sideways, THAT is the reason.

Otherwise, forget about it.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
rear alignment

i use a local shop that has alignment equipment about forty years old. he always checks the distance from the center of the front hub to the center of the rear hub. it should be 86 inches. if they're not the same on both sides,he starts looking for the cause. it could have a rear spring center bolt broken or bent which will let the rearend shift. or the spring bushings are worn out. another common problem is that one of the front mountings for the rear springs has cracked and allowing the rear to shift. happens more on tigers but we found it happened to my series 4. i would measure the wheel base first.