• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rear oil seals

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
I was working on the rear brakes (SIV) and found a lot of oil residue on both sides, that looks like it's coming out of the axles (Like, where else could it be from). Do you need to pull the axle to get to oil seals and also replace the rear bearings?

Thanks in advance for sharing you experiences and knowledge

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I was working on the rear brakes (SIV) and found a lot of oil residue on both sides, that looks like it's coming out of the axles (Like, where else could it be from). Do you need to pull the axle to get to oil seals and also replace the rear bearings?

Thanks in advance for sharing you experiences and knowledge

You dont have to pull the axles, but you do have to pull the hub, so you can remove the plate that holds the seal.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Difficult, you need to pull out the half shaft as there is no way to hold the bearing to pull it out on its own

Jim E

Donation Time
You want to be careful replacing axle bearings, the bearing rests against a collar that is a press fit on the axle and the collar will move fairly easy I just managed to move one pulling the axle out of the housing. Moving the collar changes where the bearing is located which moves the axle in or out of the housing. I my case the axle would not pull with a slide hammer so I used a bearing puller to pull the axle, pushed against the housing flange and pushed against teh axle nut that holds the hub on. The axle bearing was so tight in the end of the housing that when I pulled the axle slid in the bearing and moved the collar. Did not notice this happened until it was back together and the brake drum would not go on far enough to cover the shoes. This locater collar also comes into play even if it has not moved if you replace axle bearings due to differences in the thickness of the new vs old bearing. How critical is it? not sure, close may be good enough but it is something to put an eye on if you are tinkering with this stuff.